- The Company was incorporated on July 19, and obtained the
of commencement of business on August 9th. The company is engaged
the manufacture of refrigerators deep freezers, compressors,
grade laminations cash registers, and scooters.
- It was formed in collaboration with Kelvinator International
Corporation, U.S.A. for the manufacture of refrigerators,
and allied products.
- 50,000 shares issued without payment is cash to foreign
and 3,00,000 shares issued to the public (otherwise than through a
prospectus), promoters, directors etc.
- 1,40,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 2:5.
- 3,90,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company established a factory for the manufacture of
grade stampings in collaboration with Thermal Refrigeration Ltd.,
- 4,90,000 Rights shares issued at par in prop. 1:2.
- A modern tool room was established for the manufacture of tools,
dies, jigs and fixtures.
- Another factory was established for the manufacture of electro
mechanical cash registers in collaboration with Gross Cash Registers
Ltd., U.K. (now Chubb Cash Ltd.).
- In August/September, 2,80,000 shares offered for public
(prem. Rs 2.50 per shares).
- Aravalli Svachalit Vahan Ltd., a sick unit at Alwar (a centrally
notified backward area in Rajasthan) was merged with the Company
effect from 26th May, 1982.
- Industrial licence/letter of intent were received for the
of 12,000 nos. per annum of mopeds. A separate factory was to be
for the manufacture of mopeds having an engine capacity upto 100 cc
collaboration with Agrati-Carelli Spa, Milano, Italy.
- High court of Rajasthan at Jaipur approved the Scheme of
of Aravalli Svachalit Vahan Ltd. with the Company on 14th May, and
Court of Delhi approved the same on 26th May.
- As per the Scheme of Amalgamation, 25,000 No. of equity shares of
10 each of the company were allotted to the shareholders of Aravali
Svachalit Vahan Ltd., in the proportion 1 equity share of the
to every 40 shares of Aravalli Svachalit Vahan Ltd.
- Expo Machinery Ltd., and Kelbex International Ltd. are wholly
subsidiaries of the Company. Sanskrit Investment Pvt., Ltd., and
Episilon Investment Pvt Ltd. ceased to be subsidiaries of the
- Another letter of intent was received for increasing the
capacity of refrigerators from 2,00,000 to 5,00,000 nos. per annum.
letter of intent was also received for the manufacture of washing
- The Government of India extended for a period of 5 years, the
Company's collaboration agreement with White Consolidated Industries
Inc., U.S.A. for manufacture of compressors.
- 17,75,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company issued 3,00,000-15% non-convertible debenture of Rs
each to Unit Trust of India on private placement basis.
- The Company entered into a collaboration agreement with White
Consolidated Industries Inc., U.S.A., for the manufacture of washing
machines. The Government of India extended for a period of 5 years,
the company's collaboration agreement with White Consolidated
Industries Inc., U.S.A. for manufacture of compressors.
- The Company issued 4,00,000-15% secured non-convertible debentures
Rs 100 each to UTI, LIC, GIC and its subsidiaries and ICICI on
- The Company introduced a 300 litre 2-door refrigerator for the
and middle class consumers. A single speed (VIP-1) and 3-speed,
start (VIP-3) mopeds were introduced along with two new models of
- The Company's R&D introduced two new models viz., Avanti auto gear
and Avanti-3 gear mopeds.
- The Company proposed to implement 15 washing machines and
- The Company introduced the new Zannusi model refrigeration and
undertook modernisation of the manufacturing operations in the
refrigeration division. New models of mopeds were introduced during
- The Company undertook to set up a project for the manufacture of
super enamelled copper wire.
- During August-September, the Company offered 5,63,380-12.5%
redeemable partly convertible debentures of Rs 180 each for cash at
on rights basis in the proportion 9 deb.: 50 No. of equity shares
held, to the shareholders except White Consolidated Industries
USA (WCI) (All were taken up).
- The Company also issued 28,170 debentures to the employees/workmen
the Company under the Employees Stock Option Scheme (only 6,525
debentures taken up). The unsubscribed portion of 21,645 debentures
was allowed to lapse Rs 80 of the face value of each debenture was
be automatically and compulsorily converted into one equity shares
Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 70 per share on the expiry of 6 months
from the date of allotment of debentures.
- The non-convertible portion of Rs 100 of the face value of each
debentures was to be redeemed at par on the expiry of 7 years from
date of allotment of debentures.
- The Company also issued 79,400 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
a premium of Rs 70 per share to WCI so as to maintain their equity
holding at 11.83%. Only 76,495 shares had to be allotted to W.C.I.
employees quota of covertible debentures was not fully taken up.
- 5,69,905 No. of equity shares allotted (prem. Rs 70) on conversion
12.5% debentures as on 21.4.1990 to maintain their shareholding at
11.83%. In May, 41,96,400 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The operations were adversely affected due to lock-out for 45 days
Faridabad and Ballabgarh plants.
- Two sizes of microwave ovens were introduced.
- The Company again had to declare a lock-out from 3rd October,
lasted for about 75 days at both Faridabad and Ballabgarh plants
an amicable settlement was arrived at with labour.
- With the introduction of a state-of-the-art 310 Ltr. single door
refrigerator in the sterling range and with its proposed
of a 310 Ltr. 2-door refrigerator, the Company hoped to do better in
the near future.
- The Company succeeded in indigenisation of micro wave ovens to a
great extent. Production of international quality hermetic grade
coated winding wire commenced during the year.
- During October-November, the Company offered 22,19,876-15% Secured
partly convertible debenture of Rs 170 each on Rights basis in the
proportion 1 deb.: 5 equity shares held. All rights debenture were
taken up. Another 1,10,994-15% debentures were also offered to the
employees on an equitable basis (only 3,900 debentures were taken
- Part-A of Rs 100 of the face value of each debenture was to be
automatically and compulsorily converted into 2 equity shares of Rs
each at a premium of Rs 40 per share at the end of 6 months from the
date of allotment of debentures.
- Part-B of Rs 70 of the face value of each debenture was to be
redeemed in three instalments of Rs 25, Rs 25 and Rs 20 each at the
of 6th, 7th and 8th years respectively from the date of allotment of
- 41,96,400 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2. 44,67,552 No. of
shares allotted (prem. of Rs 40) on convertion of 15% debentures.
5,96,975 No. of equity shares allotted to White Consolidated
Inc. foreign collaborators.
- The Company entered into a tie up with Whirlpool Corporation, USA,
whereby Whirlpool contracted to purchase from white consolidated
Industries Inc., USA, erstwhile collaborators, their entire holding
20,86,796 No. of equity shares of the company.
- Expo Machinery Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary were merged with
company. Pursuant to scheme of amalgamation, 75,00,000 No. of
shares of the Company were allotted to the shareholders of erstwhile
Whirlpool Washing Machines Ltd. (WWML) in the ratio of one equity
of the Company for every four equity shares of erstwhile WWML.
- The R&D developed a New Sterling Supreme 165 L refrigerator with
improved aesthetic and a new freezer frame door was introduced.
- 1,41,00,000 shares allotted (Prem. Rs 187.16 per share) to
Mauritius Ltd., to acquire 51% of share capital.
- The Whirlpool brand was launched in November, along with a new 310
- Three variants of 165 L and a new 220 L Direct Cool Refrigerators
were launched. The Pondicherry Washer Unit indroduced a re-styled
version of a fully Automatic Washing machine and a 3.5Kg. Twin-tub
machine under the Whirlpool brand.
- The Company undertook a major project for the manufacture of CFC
No. Frost Refrigerators at Ranjangaon near Pune.
- The name of the company was changed from Kelvinator of India Ltd.
the Whirlpool of India Ltd.
- The Company proposed to dispose off the compressor unit, plastic
division and Automotive plant to generate cash for the working
needs of the Company.
- WoI is a wholly owned subsidiary of the US major, Whirlpool
- Whirlpool entered into a joint venture with TVS (washing machines
the TVS group) in 1990.
- The company has also introduced a 310 litre capacity refrigerator
under the wing of Whirlpool brand, and another model based on the
- WoI has one of the largest distribution networks in India.
it has about 40 branches and 5,500 dealers located all over the
- WoI has signed an MoU with Intrinsic Automation System Pvt. Ltd.
(IASPL) for the hiving off its electronic cash register (ECR)
- Whirlpool introduced its second voluntary retirement scheme in two
years which 1,500 employees availed themselves of between March and
- Whirlpool launched a joint venture consumer finance company with
Apple Industries, the latter taking a 60 per cent stake.
- The company is currently setting up a greenfield no-frost
refrigerator manufacturing facility in Ranjangaon, near Pune.
- Whirlpool of India Ltd (WIL), a white goods manufacturer and
marketer, has announced the launch of three of its new washing
models for the domestic market.
- Pondicherry based Whirlpool of India Ltd (WIL) is a 56.3%
of the US$ 8 billion Whirlpool Corporation USA.
- Whirlpool Financial India Private Ltd (WFI), a subsidiary of
Whirlpool Corporation, US, is to merge with Whirlpool of India Ltd.
- The company has launched a `Kaizen' initiative to ensure regular
continuous improvement in all areas of its activity.
- Whirlpool India Limited, has launched a range of state of the art
non-CFC frost free refrigerators said to be for the first in India.
- Crisil has assigned a P1 rating to the Rs.20 crore commercial
(CP) programme of Whirlpool of India Ltd (WOIL). The rating favours
the impending merger of Whirlpool Financial India Pvt Ltd (WFIL)
WOIL and continued support from the parent company.
- Whirlpool of India, the 51 per cent subsidiary of Whirlpool
Corporation of the US.
- A P1 rating has been assigned to Rs 70-crore commercial paper
of Whirlpool India Limited (WIL).
- KIL entered into just a strategic alliance with Whirlpool with the
object of manufacturing and marketing state-of-the-art home
and simultaneously discounting all unrelated and non-core product
- In September 1998, Whirlpool Financial India Private Ltd (WFIPL),
another group company of WC and a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Financial Mauritius Ltd (WFML) was merged with WIL.
- Kelvinator of India used to manufacture refrigerators under the
name of Kelvinator under a licensing agreement with Swedish white
giant AB Electrolux which owned the brand internationally.
- The company is one of the largest manufacturers of chloroflouro
carbons in the country, and it has consistently generated free cash
incremental returns on capital year on year.
- Whirlpool of India Ltd had being granted foreign collaboration
approval for the manufacturing of refrigerators.
- The Company will launch a new air-conditioner series for the
- Crisil has assigned a `P1+' rating to the Rs 100 crore commercial
paper programme of the Company.
- The Company has launched `Whitemagic' Hotwash - the only top
washing machine with a heater.
- Raj Jain will take over as the new managing director of the
- Whirlpool of India chairman and managing director Garrick D'silva
been promoted as regional vice-president, Whirlpool Asia.
- The Company offered a Voluntary Retirement Scheme to the employees
its Refrigerator Division.
- The Company has launched its fully automatic top-loading washing
machine, Whitemagic Hotwash, in the Kerala market.
- The Company offered a Voluntary Retirement Scheme to its employees
and spent Rs. 12.66 Crores.
- The Company has introduced a range of direct cool and frost-free
refrigerators in the Kerala market.
-Whirlpool and Godrej filed a law suite with MRTPC against LG
Electronics India Ltd of misrepresenting its capacity and volumes.
-Launches new eight refrigerators in both frost-free and direct cool
-Receives ISO 9001:2000 certification for its Design and
Manufacturing of Direct Cool Refrigeration.
-Whirlpool India forges alliance with Faber Heatcraft Industries Ltd
-Whirlpool on May 17 launched new refrigerators in the 'ice magic'
-Whirlpool has announced the launch of single-door frost-control
refrigerators in the Kerala market
-Whirlpool announces new scheme for Onam season
-Launches new range of refrigerators and washing machines to improve
its market share on October 25, 2004.
-Delist from the Delhi Stock Exchange Association Ltd with effect
from October 13, 2004
-Faber India enters into distribution tie-up with Whirlpool
-Ajay Devgan and wife Kajol have been signed on by Whirlpool
appliances for their new commercial targeted at family audiences the
couple's first major ad campaign together
-Whirlpool launches `Genius' a direct cool refrigerator of 180 litres
and premium range of window air-conditioners on April 25, 2005
-Whirlpool India bags 'AAA' rating
-Whirlpool unveils new Iceberg refrigerators
-Whirlpool of India Ltd has appointed Mr Mahesh Krishna as Director
of the Company w.e.f. October 27, 2006, liable to retire by rotation,
who shall hold the office until the next meeting of the Company and
shall be eligible for re-election.
-Whirlpool joining hands with retailers for easier credit facilities
-Whirlpool of India launches its Jet Chef and Family Chef Collection
-Whirlpool launches 4 New Brand shops in Chandigarh
-Whirlpool redefines washing machines in India, launches the all new
'Whirlpool ACE washstation'
-Whirlpool corporation kicks off 100th year anniversary celebration
-Launches new brandshops in Amritsar and Jalandhar
-Best Consumer Durables Company...Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards
-Readers Digest Trusted Brand Gold Award (2009-2010) for
Refrigerators and Washing Machines
-Whirlpool Pondicherry Washer Facility Gold Award in Economic Times
Frost & Sullivan Manufacturing Excellence Award - 2011
-India is an important global mkt: Whirlpool
-Whirlpool launches a new range of domestic products
-Whirlpool ACE Washing Machine received the Silver Medal in the
prestigious international Edison Awards for being the best new
product in the Lifestyle and Social Impact category.
-ICWAI....National Award for Excellence in Cost Management - Silver
-Trophy for Export Excellence in EPO Service for outstanding export