- The Company was incorporated on 19th January. It was promoted by
Nandlal M. Dhoot and his sons. The Company manufacture colour
television sets, television components, airconditioners and other
- The Company undertook to set up a project for the manufacture of
1,00,000 Nos. per annum of colour television sets, 2,00,000 nos.
annum of electronic tuners and 2,00,000 nos. per annum of extra high
- 70 No. of equity shares subscribed for by the signatories to
Memorandum. 2,49,930 No. of equity shares then issued at par of
9,99,930 share reserved and allotted to the promoters, Indian
directors, etc. Of the balance of 15,00,000 No. of equity shares.
1,20,500 shares were reserved and allotted on a preferential basis
the employees (including Indian working directors) workers of the
Company and those of promoters companies. The remaining 13,79,500
shares offered and allotted to the general public (Public offer in
- The Company undertook to set up facilities for the assembly and
packaging of integrated circuits from imported diffused wafers and
manufacture of black & white television at Aurangabad in
- The Company also undertook to set up a centralised tool room and
injection moulding facilities at Aurangabad and 25 services centres
various locations in the country.
- The Company issued 15,00,000 - 12.5% secured convertible
of Rs 200 each of which 6,25,000 debentures were offered to the
shareholders on `Rights' basis in the proportion 1 debenture: 4
shares. (all were taken up). Additional 93,750 debentures were
allotted to retain oversubscription.
- The Balance 8,75,000 debentures were issued through prospectus to
following on preferential allotment basis:
- (i) 3,00,000 debentures to ICICI, UTI, LIC and GIC
- (ii) 1,25,000 debentures to mutual funds and
- (iii) 75,000 debentures to employees/workers of the company. The
remaining 3,75,000 debentures along with 50,000 debentures not taken
by the employees were allotted to the public. Additional 1,30,000
debentures were allotted to retain oversubscription (56,250
to the public and 73,750 debentures to the financial institutions
mutual funds under preferential quota).
- With the issue of convertible debentures, the company also issued
6,00,000 - 14% secured redeemable non-convertible debentures of Rs
to the public. These debentures are to be redeemed at par in 3
instalments of Rs 30, Rs 35 and Rs 35 at the end of the 6th, 7th and
8th year respectively from the date of allotment of debentures.
- The face value of Rs 200 of each debenture was made of three parts
viz., Part I of Rs 25, Part II of Rs 50 and Part III of Rs 125.
- Part I was automatically and compulsorily converted into 1 equity
share of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 10 per share after 6 months
the date of allotment i.e. in February 1990.
- Part II was automatically and compulsorily converted into 1 equity
share of Rs 10 at a premium of Rs 40 per share after the expiry of
months from the date of allotment of debentures i.e. in 1991.
- Part III was automatically and compulsorily converted into 2
of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 52.50 per share during 1992.
- The diversification projects were implemented during the year (i)
8,00,000 nos. per annum of black and white picture tubes; (ii)
10,00,000 nos. per annum of audio tape deck mechanism; (iii)
nos. per annum of potentiometers; (iv) 5,00,000 nos. per annum of
speakers; (v) 10,00,000 nos. per annum of electronic connectors and
(vi) 100 million nos. per annum of capacitors.
- During February-March, the Company offered 11,86,790 - 12.5%
fully convertible debentures of Rs 220 each on Rights basis in the
proportion 1 debentures: 5 Equity shares held. Additional 1,78,010
debentures allotted to retain oversubscription.
- The Company issued 8,58,665 - 12.5% secured fully convertible
debentures of Rs 220 each through a prospectus of which 1,02,272
debenture were issued to the employees/workers of the Company.
Additional 15,338 debentures allotted. The remaining 7,56,393
debentures were issued to the public. Additional 1,28,797
were allotted to retain oversubscription.
- Rs 110 of the face value of each debenture was automatically and
compulsorily converted into one equity share of Rs 10 each at a
of Rs 100 per share on the expiry of 6 months from the date of
allotment of debentures. The remaining Rs 100 of the face value of
each debenture was also automatically and compulsorily converted
one equity share of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 100 per share on
expiry of 18 months from the date of allotment of debenture.
- The Company issued 70,51,100 Right Equity shares of Rs 10 each for
cash at a premium of Rs 110 per share in proportion 1:4.
Simultaneously, the Company issued 54,48,900 No. of equity shares of
10 each for cash at a premium of Rs 110 per share and 125,00,000
secured bonds of Rs 40 each with detachable warrant through a
prospectus as follows:
- (i) 13,62,225 No. of equity shares to promoters, friends and their
- (ii) 2,72,445 shares to employees
- (iii) 31,25,000 bonds to promoters, directors etc. Balance
shares along with 2,32,370 shares not taken up by employees were
to the public.
- Of the bonds 31,25,000 bonds were reserved for allotment to the
promoters, friends etc. Balance 93,75,000 bonds were issued to the
public (all were taken up).
- The Company issued 111,11,111 GDR of US $ 8.10 each aggregating to
million US Dollars. 111,11,111 No. of equity shares underlying the
GDRs were allotted on 17th February.
1996 - The Company has entered into a Joint Venture with the Nicchi
Group of Italy, which is one of the largest manufacturers of
compressors in the world.
- Videocon Narmada Electronics Ltd. was amalgamated with the Company
and from 4th December as per the terms of the Scheme of Amalgamation
sanctioned by the High Court.
- 50,00,000 No. of equity shares allotted against non-tradable
warrants. Another, 1,43,92,290 No. of equity shares issued to
shareholders of Videocon Narmada Electronics Ltd. on its
with the Company.
- Videocon International, through its joint venture company with
Gujarat government - Videocon Marmada Electronics Ltd, was the first
company to manufacture glass shells for colour picture tubes in the
- Television-based video phones are being introduced in India with
agreement signed by Videocon International with a North
company, C-Phone Corporation.
- The multinational does not require Videocon's plant any more as it
has set up its own colour television manufacturing plant at Noida.
- In case of Apollo Tube & Steel Industries, formerly Apollo Tubes,
Videocon entered into a five year lease finance agreement with the
company on September 15, 1994.
- Videocon and Necchi had also floated a joint venture company in
to manufacture six million electric motors for compressors and
appliances at facilities in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- The company has already signed a power purchase agreement with the
TNEB for which it has agreed for the tariff for the first year.
- Videocon International Limited ranked first on the list of top 20
companies against whom maximum number of complaints have been
on the Mumbai Stock Exchange (BSE) during the month of October.
- Videocon International, which is putting up the 1050 MW North
Thermal Power Station Stage-II, signed an escrow account agreement
the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB).
- Videocon International Ltd. is entering the Internet arena. Group
chairman Venugopal Dhoot said the company had obtained licence to
enroll itself as an Internet service provider (ISP).
- Videocon International had set up a 100 per cent marketing
- Paramount Global Ltd to market its products in the international
- The company has also set up 25 branches across the globe to give a
fillip to its international operations.
- Akai India Ltd, a 70:30 joint venture between the Videocon group
Akai Electric Company of Japan, has been renamed Akai Consumer
Electronics and Home Appliances India Ltd. The two companies had
finalised a joint venture agreement on March 15.
- The Company has announced the launch of its new range of
sets fitted with Net-ready devices to enable viewers access the
Internet while watching television.
- Videocon International has tied-up with US-based firm Telecruz
Technologies Inc. which produces the TeleCruz TC701 chip and
- The Company will launch a nationwide dial-up ISP service. It will
launch its ISP in China also.
- The Company has taken over a Russian CTV glass facility from a
bank for a consideration of around Rs 100 crore.
- Videocon International Ltd is setting up a appliance production
facility in Bangalore to be operated in name of Aplicom India Ltd
(AIL), a joint venture between VIL and Nechi Compresarai of Italy.
- The Company has signed an Industrial Entrepreneur Memorandum with
Bihar government to set up a Rs 184-crore unit at Barhi in South
- The Company is setting up a greenfield manufacturing facility in
Rajasthan, apart from the two new units coming up in Punjab and
- Global Consumer electronics firm Nakamichi Corporation of Japan is
joining hands with Videocon International for outsourcing its
range of audios and televisions under the original equipment
- Videocon International Ltd. has launched an e-care service centre
air-conditioners to address customer complaints.
- Videocon International Ltd. recently launched a fully automatic
- Videocon International has introduced the `Videocon Bazoomba'.
- Videocon Internationl Ltd. has introduced a Bubble Wash technology
washing machines, which minimises the consumption of water while
delivering the most effective wash.
- The Company has launched the five kg front-loading fully automatic
Tru-Dry Technology in washing machines to deliver clean and 100 per
cent dry, ready-to-iron clothes.
- The company will invest Rs 450 crore for setting up three
manufacturing facilities. Of the total investment, Rs 400 crore will
spent for setting up two plants in Hyderabad and Mohali while Rs 50
crore is earmarked for another unit in Jharkhand.
-Launches first generation Internet TV for the domestic market
-Receives orders worth 0 million from Russian companies
-Obtains government approval for listing their wholly-owned venture
Videocon Petroleum Ltd(VPL) in the New York Stock Exchange
-Launches energy saving Air Conditioners
-Fire breaks down in Videocon factory at Bhalgaon
-Videocon inks pact with Korean cos for capacitors
-Videocon inks pact with BCCI to sponsor Int'l cricket in India till