1954 - The Company was incorporated as a public limited company at
Chennai on 12th July, and obtained a Certificate of
of Business on 30th July. It was promoted by late Shri
- The Company set up a plant (Unit I) with an installed
1200 TPD at Vadapathinangalam in Thanjavur district of
1974 - The Crushing capacity was increased to 2,000 TPD. Since
the Company had been modernising the plant and
machinery to attain higher efficiency.
- Rate of dividend on preference shares increased from
10.5% with effect from 1.11.1975.
1986 - The company was issued a letter of intent to set up a new
factory (Unit II) with an installed cane crushing
2,500 TPD at Thirumandangudi in Thanjavur district of
- Plant and machinery was procured on a turn-key basis
Ltd. Two DG sets of 320 KVA each were also installed to
1988 - 6,00,000 Bonus shares issued in prop 1:1.
1989 - The Company privately placed 15,000-14% non-convertible
debentures of Rs 1000 each with UTI and SBI Mutual Fund.
debentures are redeemable in three instalment beginning
end of 6th year from the date of allotment with a
premium of 5%
to be paid with the IInd instalment.
- 45,00,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 15:4,
shares were then issued at a premium of Rs 15 per share
two blocks of 46,875 shares each were reserved and
UTI and SBI Mutual Fund. 71,250 shares were offered on
preferential basis to employees (including Indian
directors/workers) of the Company. Only 11,400 shares
The balance 12,60,000 shares, along with the unsubscribed
of 59,850 shares of employees quota, were offered for
subscription during July, 1990. Additional 2,13,750
allotted to the public to retain over-subscription.
1990 - The Company decided to enter into new lines of business viz.,
leasing, hire purchase, computer hardware and software,
- During July, the Company made a public issue of equity
with an objective to raise resources to meet part of the
new sugar project, augment long-term resources and to
shares on recognised stock exchanges.
1992 - The Company has commissioned the services of the Sugarcane
Breeding Institute, Coimbatore to undertake a detailed
suggest necessary measures to improve the quality and
- The Company has also been chosen by Tamilnadu Industrial
Development Corporation (TIDCO) as co-promoter for
project in the Associate Sector to manufacture
alcohol based chemical.
- It is proposed to introduce the Double Common Header in
Injection Station to reduce the power consumption in
condensing and spraying system.
- It has proposed to modify the existing VKW Boiler Furnace
Economiser Tube design to increase the thermal efficiency
- The company has proposed to modify the existing
Station with Dynamic Juice Heaters to reduce the steam
- It is proposed to introduce specific imbibition system in
Mills to reduce the imbibition percentage for the same
- It is proposed to introduce Multi Pass Evaporator to
transfer and to reduce scale formation.
1993 - Located alongside the sugar factory at Tirumandankudi, with
installed capacity of 60 kilo-litres per day of
and 30 kilolitres per day of Extra Neutral Alcohol
1994 - The Company finalised the proposal to set up cogeneration
facilities at the Tirumandankudi sugar plant for
19 MW of power. The power plant would last substantial
availability of fuel in the form of bagasse from the
and the same would be supplemented by lignite from the
- The Company has successfully introduced the poly bag
planting sugarcane which not only economies on seed
but also through better germination, results in higher
acre and sucrose content.
- The Company is also considering expansion of its interests
sugar industry and it is proposed to integrate the project
co-generation of power therein.
- High efficiency pumps were installed in injection station
has resulted in energy saving.
- Double Common Header has been introduced and it has
power saving of about 125 KW.
- 8,50,000 Shares issued Pref. shares issued.
1995 - With a view to overcome the problems faced during the trial
certain modifications were suggested and the plant was
since March 1996 to July 1996 for enforcing the
- The company received a Letter of Intent for expanding the
capacity of Tirumandankudi sugar factory from 2500 TCD to
- The Company undertook to install 9.74 MW back pressure
Tirumandankudi power plant to increase the power
capacity from 19th to 27 MW.
- The Company also undertook to set up Co-generation
19 MW power at Kollumangudi.
- The Company was granted a Letter of Intent for setting up
2,500 TCD sugar factory in Tiruvadaimaravdur taluka,
- During the year, 5,500,000 Redeemable Cumulative
Shares of Rs. 10 each were issued and allotted.
1996 - The Company has allotted 4,12,869 No. of equity shares at a
of Rs 165 per share to the Promoters on preferential
- The Company had allotted 21,50,405 No. of Equity shares
of Rs 10
each at a premium of Rs 80 per share to the shareholders
company on rights basis.
- The 19 MW Power Cogeneration project at Tirumandankudi
commissioned during November.
- The Company is installing a 9.74 MW back pressure turbine
Tirumandankudi Power Plant, so as to increase the Power
generating capacity from 19 to 27 MW during the crushing
- The Bagasse based Cogeneration Plant was commissioned.
is the first major Bagasse based Cogeneration Project of
kind in the sugar industry in the whole of India.
1997 - The Unit Trust of India (UTI) has renounced its rights
entitlement of 1,86,443 equity shares of Thiru Arooran
Ltd at the rate of Rs.4 per share on January 22, 1997.
- Arooran Sugars Ltd has recently obtained one more letter
Intent from the Centre to set up a sugar mill of 2500
Valangaiman near Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district.
- With the proposed two factories, it is set to emerge one
largest sugar producers in the country with 12,000 TCD
- The Chennai-based Thiru Aroonan Sugars Ltd (TASL),
substitute some of its high-cost long-term and short-term
with low cost resources.
- Thiru Arooran Sugars Ltd has been chosen for `Best
Project/Entrepreneur' award by Indian Renewable Energy
Development Ltd (IREDA). The agency has set up special
as part of its celebrations to commemorate the completion
years of service in the renewable energy sector.
- The capacity of the existing unit in Thirumandangudi has
doubled to 5,000 tonnes daily while the co-generation
this centre has a capacity of 27 MW.
- 24,500,000 preference shares of Rs 10 each were privately
aggregating to Rs 2450 lakhs.
1998 - Thiru Arooran Sugars is the latest to join the race in the
Southern sugar market to expand capacity.
- The company recently set-up a new 2,500 tcd sugar unit
Thiruvidaimarudur through a new subsidiary - Shri Ambica
Mills - which could also call for additional investments
TASL, leading to a higher fixed-cost component in its
- Thiru Arooran has a capcity of 7,500 tcd and is adding
capacity of 2,500 tcd through a subsidiary company.
- 10,000,000 Preference shares of Rs 10 each privately
1999 - The sugar plant, situated at Pennadam, has a capacity to
500 tonnes per day. With this the capacity of TASL
increased to 12500 TCD taking into account 5000 TCD at
Thiruman-dangudi and 2500 TCD at Kollumangudi.
2000 - The Company a leading integrated sugar manufacturer based in
Tamil Nadu, has proposed to hive off its `cash cow'
- TheTerra Energy shall allot to Thiru Arooran Sugar
No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each fully paid-up
aggregating Rs 10 crore,
20,00,000 redeemable preference shares of Rs 100 each
aggregating Rs 20
crore and 12,84,000 optionally convertible debentures of
Rs 100 each aggregating
Rs 12.84 crore.
- Delisting of the Equity Shares from Madras Stock Exchange
-Shree Ambika Sugars Ltd an associate company of Thiru Arooran Sugars
Ltd merges two of its cogeneration power subsidiaries with itself
-Mr. R.R. Karthikeyan has been appointed as Company Secretary of the
-Thiru Arooran Sugars has recommended payment of Dividend at Rs. 4
per Equity Share (40%)
-Mr. B. Viswanathan has been appointed as Additional Director of the
- Thiru Arooran Sugars Ltd. has appointed Mr. R Vijayaraghavan and
Mr. V Thirupathi are Independent Directors of the Company.