- The Bank was founded at the temple town of Udupi on October 20, as
Canara Industrial and Banking Syndicate Limited.
- The Bank introduced an innovative savings scheme, Pigmy Deposits,
to mobilise small savings and the Bank has come to be known as the
`Small Man's Big Bank'.
- The Bank was renamed as Syndicate Bank Limited and shifted its Head
Office to Manipal.
- The Bank was nationalised under the Banking Companies (Acquisition
and Transfer of Undertakings) Act, 1970s.
- Syndicate Bank was the first Bank to sponsor a Regional Bank,
Prathama Bank at Moradabad.
- The Bank has sponsored 10 Regional Rural Banks all over the country
and a distinguishing feature is that all the 10 RRBs have achieved
considerable growth and Profits.
- The Company introduced Asset Classification, Income Recognition and
Provisioning norms by RBI affected all the Public Sector Banks and
Syndicate Bank was no exception.
- The Bank has merged eight branches - 3 in Mumbai, 2 in Bangalore
and one each in Calcutta, Ahmedabad and Udupi centres. On the other
hand, the Bank also has opened 8 new branches during the year.
- The Bank has opened two Specialised Industrial Finance Branches one
at Mumbai and another at Bangalore to cater to the needs of the
- During the `Customers Fortnight' the Bank has launched services
like Express DD counter, 12 hour non-stop counters for encashment of
Foreign Travellers Cheques.
- Customer Charter/Customer Service Audit have been introduced to
evaluate the position in regard to extent of actual implementation at
the grass root level of the various recommendations of the Committee.
- Two Schemes have been introduced. The Bank Order Scheme and the
Gift Cheque Scheme not only to facilitate obilisation of float funds
for the Bank but also to enable the Bank to bring in additional
clientele into its fold, besides providing an additional facility to
- New training course modules on rural lending were introduced at all
the Staff Training Colleges of the Bank to improve the capabilities of
- The Government of India introduced two new schemes during the year
i.e., Prime Minister's Rozgar Yojna (PMRY) and Scheme for Liberation
and Rehabilitation of Scavengers (SLRS).
- The Bank proposes to create a full-fledged Merchant Banking
Division in Mumbai under Dy. General Manager.
- The Bank proposes to start the Apex Training College at Manipal to
train the senior level staff.
- The year 1995 - 96 has been celebrated by the Bank as the Platinum
Jubilee Year as it completed 70 years of service to the Nation.
- The first Automated Teller Machine of the Bank was installed at
Bangalore Gandhinagar branch during the year.
- The Bank has been promoting self-employment mainly to motivate,
guide and assist unemployed youth for taking up self-employed
- Syndicate Bank has proposed the mode of repayment spread over seven
years with annual installment of Rs. 100 crore towards servicing the
loan and an additional Rs. 25 crore as dividend to the Central
- Syndicate Bank proposes to introduce telebanking in three of its
branches in Tamil Nadu, at Armenian Street and Mount Road in Chennai,
and Oppanakara Street in Coimbatore.
- Another novel scheme introduced mainly for the corporates is the
rapid call one, wherein customers are ensured certain collection
within seven days for a cheque anywhere in the world.
- It is proposing to increase its number of branches from the current
1,600 to 2,000 by the turn of the century.
- The Manipal-based Syndicate Bank has opened a fully automated
branch in Guruvayur in Thrissur district in Kerala.
- Syndicate Bank will be introducing telebanking services at South
Block Branch, New Delhi from March.
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between Syndicate
Bank and its sponsored regional rural banks in Andhra Pradesh namely
Anantha Grameena Bank and Pinakini Grameena Bank at Syndicate Bank
Zonal office, Bangalore, on August 8.
- The Bank was conferred with Autonomy status by Government of India
on attaining the prescribed performance criteria relating to capital
adequacy, profitability, non-performing assets and minimum owned
- The Bank has launched several Personal Banking schemes designed to
meet the personal credit requirements and contingencies such as
medical expenses, tax payment, marriage expenses, purchase of
consumer durables and vehicles to different classes of customers such
as salaries class, professionals, business class and pensioners.
- The Bank has introduced Asset Liability Management System to
address the market risk.
- The Bank introduced `Shubh Din Deposit' Scheme for auspicious days
like Birthday, Marriage Anniversary etc.
- `Kisan Credit Card' and `Kisan Pragathi Deposit' Scheme are two
Schemes introduced to take care of farmers by providing financial
assistance as well as to build up their own savings for the future.
- `Rapidcol' is a Scheme for Bank's valued clients for fast
collection of their high-value Cheques, Drafts and other instruments
drawn on various centres.
- `Syndifloat' is a Deposit Scheme for the Institutional Investors to
hedge their interest rate risk.
- The Bank proposes to launch a Cash Management Scheme, which is
designed to help Corporate clients in managing their funds in a
better way by optimum use of Information Technology.
- Public Issue of 12,50,00,000 No. of Equity Shares of Rs 10/- each
for cash at par aggregating Rs 125,00,00,000.
- Syndicate Bank, one of the oldest banks in the country and is an
entity with rural flavaour and is engaged primarily in social
- Syndicate Bank has decided to introduce seven-day banking and
extended banking hours for its customers in residential and business
- Syndicate Bank will also come out with a co-branded credit card
with Standard Chartered Bank in March 2000. Santa Clara-based the
hardware and software design, development and consulting firm
Digital-X Networks Pvt Ltd has tied up with Satyam Infoway and
- The company has recently entered into a strategic alliance with the
Kerala-based NeST Systems & Technologies to design and manufacture
- Syndicate Bank has set up an ATM in the Manipal Hospital in
Bangalore in addition to its existing extension counter.
- Mr. D.T Pai has taken charge as Chairman and Managing Director
(CMD) of Syndicate Bank effective May 25th.
- The Bank has proposed to step up efforts at pushing in the eastern
region its personal banking products, some of which have been
remodelled to suit emerging needs of customers.
- The Bank has entered into an agreement with Standard Chartered for
a co-branded credit card business.
- Syndicate Bank has launched a slew of schemes to woo top corporate
executives and defence personnels.
- The Bank has launched demat services at its Pali Hill branch in
Mumbai. The Manipal-based bank has tied up with Stock Holding
Corporation of India.
- Syndicate Bank introduced Demat Services in association with Stock
Holding Corporation of India Ltd. in Mumbai.
- Syndicate Bank, pioneers in introducing many innovative schemes to
suit the customers' needs has launched dawn-to-dusk banking at its
Pitam Pura branch.
- Syndicate Bank has launched a scheme for financing solar water
heating systems in collaboration with the ministry of
non-conventional energy source.
- Syndicate Bank has launched demat services in its `All Women'
branch at Matunga.
- Syndicate Bank in association with Stock Holding Corporation is
launching demat services in Calcutta.
- Syndicate Bank and Standard Chartered Bank launched their global
co-branded credit card.
- Syndicate Bank forges alliance with Stock Holding Cororation of
India to extend depository services and online trading of shares to
the investors at Chennai through its branches at Mylapore and Anna
- The Bank has proposed to extend its tie-up with Stock Holding
Corporation of India Ltd. to cover more branches and more investors.
- Mr M S Kapur has been appointed as executive director of Syndicate
Bank by the government of India till March 31, 2006.
- Syndicate Bank launched a new educational loan scheme for poor but
meritorious students to support their education, both in India and
-Syndicate Bank has informed that Mr P J Vincent, Joint Secretary and
F A, Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, New Delhi has
been appointed on the Board of Directors of the Bank.
-K S Shetty appointed as a Director on the Board of Syndicate Bank.
-Syndicate Bank introduced the Resident Foreign
currency(domestic)deposit scheme for its resident Indians.
-Syndicate Bank has announced its 5 branches in Andhra Pradesh have
made arrangement to sell application forms for the All India
Engineering Entrance Examination of the CBSE.
-Syndicate Bank reduces its interest rates on housing loans from 25
basis points to 100 basis points under various tenures.
-Shri Anil Kumar Khanna, Shri Chandrakanth Nayak P, Shri Fabian K.P
and Smt Ranjana S Salgaocar have been appointed as directors of the
-Syndicate Bank offered for funding of solar lighting projects in the
-Bank waved the service charges on fresh vehicle and consumer durable
loans taken by women under the 'Syndicate Vahan' and 'Synd Suvidha'
schemes, to mark the International Women's Day.
-Syndicate Bank has launched its Centralised Banking Solution in
Puttaparti and vijayawada.
-Bank has liberalised the 'Syndvidya' loan scheme.
-Syndicate Bank has launched an 'awareness camp' on housing loans
scheme in puttur.
-Syndicate Bank launched new counter at Maharani's Arts
College,Bangalore which is affiliated to seshadripuram branch.
- Syndicate Bank in Memorandum of Understanding with United India
Insurance (UII) to sell policies
--Royal Enfield tied-up with Syndicate Bank to finance purchases.
-Launches new products SyndKissan Samruddhi Card and SyndMahila Card.
SyndKissan Samruddhi Card
-Syndicate Bank ties with Mahindra & Mahindra for financing tractors
-Syndicate Bank launches new loan scheme
-Syndicate Bank introduces Kisan Samvirudthi Credit Card
- Syndicate Bank files a draft red herring prospectus on April 19,
2005, with the Securities & Exchanges Board of India to enter the
capital market with its second public issue of equity shares. The
bank proposes to issue 50 million equity shares of Rs 10 each for
cash at a premium to be decided through the book-building process.
The issue is to be made through a 100-per cent book-building process.
Of the total offer, the bank has reserved 5 million equity shares to
its employees and another 5 million equity shares to existing
shareholders. Of the balance net offer of 40 million shares, 20
million are reserved for allotment to qualified institutional buyers
on a discretionary basis and 6 million reserved for allotment to
non-institutional buyers. The remaining 14 million would be allotted
to retail investors on a proportionate basis.
-Syndicate Bank has received a nod from the Securities and Exchanges
Board of India (Sebi) for its second public offer which is expected
to hit the capital market in the first week of July. The issue
consists of five crore equity shares of Rs 10 each. They will be
issued at a premium, which will be decided through the book-building
-Syndicate Bank plans to launch rural VC fund
-Syndicate Bank signs MOU with CMC
-Syndicate Bank has informed that Syndbank Services Ltd (BPO), a
subsidiary of the Bank was inaugurated by Sri P Chidambaram, Hon'ble
Finance Minister, Government of India, on March 24, 2006 in
-Syndicate Bank has informed that Government has nominated Sri.
Kawaljit Singh Oberoi, as Part-Time Non-Official Director on the
Board of the Bank for a period of 3 years from the date of
notification (i.e. January 02, 2007) or until further order whichever
-Syndicate Bank has informed that the Central Government has
nominated Ms. Shobha Oza, as Part-Time Non-Official Director on the
Board of the Bank for a period of 3 years from the date of
notification (i.e. January 02, 2007) or until her successor is
nominated or until further orders, whichever is earliest.
- Syndicate Bank has hiked interest rates of retail deposits upwards
of nine per cent.
-Syndicate Bank has informed that the Central Government has
nominated Sri. K Seetharamu, as Director on the Board of the Bank, in
place of Sri. Salim Gangadharan with immediate effect and until
-Mumbai: Syndicate Bank has inked a memorandum of understanding under
corporate agency tie up arrangement with Export Credit Guarantee
Corporation of India Ltd (ECGC), for marketing their various export
insurance products through its designated branches.
- Syndicate Bank has appointed Shri Basant Seth as Chairman and
Managing Director (MD) of the Bank for a period upto February 29,
2012 i.e. the date of his superannuation or until further orders,
whichever is earlier.
- Syndicate Bank has has nominated Sri. Dinkara S. Punja as Officer
Employee Director on the Board of Directors of the Bank for a period
of three years from July 12, 2010 or until he ceases to be an officer
of the Bank or until further orders, whichever is the earliest.
- Syndicate Bank has informed BSE that in exercise of the powers
conferred by clause (e) of sub-section (3) of Section 9 of the
Banking Companies (Acquisition and Transfer of Undertakings) Act,
1970/1980 read with sub-clause (1) & (2) of Clause 9 of the
Nationalized Banks (Management & Miscellaneous Provisions) Scheme,
1970/1980, the Central Government. vide its notification dated August
31, 2010, has appointed Sri. Narendra L. Dave as Workmen Employee
Director on the Board of Directors of the Bank for a period of three
years from the date of notification or until he ceases to be a
workmen employee of the Bank or until further orders, whichever is