- The Company was incorporated as a partnership firm by Dilip Sanghvi
& his family to manufacture pharmaceutical formulation at Vapi,
Gujarat. It was converted into a public Ltd. Company effective 1st
March. The was promoted by Dilip Sanghvi. The Company specialises
in selected therapeutic segment to psychiatry, cardiology, neurology
- The Bulk drug plant at Panoli was commissioned. The second
formulation plant at Silvana was commissioned in April.
- During October, the company undertook to enhance the production
capacity of bulk drugs at Panoli from 62,000 Kgs. p.a. to 92000 Kgs.
p.a. Also formulation unit was to be enhanced to 1800 millions
tablets p.a. from 570 million tablets p.a.
- The Company proposed to modernise the formulation unit at Vapi and
increase its capacity from 480 million tablets to 1440 million
tablets p.a. It was also proposed to set up additional facilities at
the R&D centre SPARC.
- 71,85,000 No. of equity shares issued to promoters etc.
- In the synergy division two more products viz. `Clofranil SR and
Syndopa CR were introduced.
- The Company entered into a MOU with Knoll Pharmaceuticals Ltd. for
acquisition of their Ahmednagar unit manufacturing bulk drugs.
- 35,92,500 No. of equity shares allotted as bonus shares in prop
1:2. 3,23,400 Rights shares issued at a premium of Rs 130 per
shares.During October 1994, the capital issued 37,00,300 No. of
equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 140 per share to the
- 18 new products were launched across the company's six focused
marketing divisions and 4 more line extension including drug delivery
systems were launched.
- The Company acquired controlling stake in MJ Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- SPIL and its group company Virtuous Finance Ltd., which are the the
major shareholders of MJPL with more than 50 per cent of shareholding,
had signed a MoU with erstwhile promoters the Shah family, on November
- The Company acquired 78,36,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each.
- The Chennai based Tamil Nadu Dadha Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd. was
merged with the company in the ratio of 4:1 effective 1st April.
With this, IDPL brings to sun pharma extensive product strengths
across the areas of gynaecology, fertility, oncology, pain mengeners
- Sunkalp Laboratories Ltd., Sun Pharma Industries Ltd., Russia & Sun
Pharma Global Inc. are all subsidiaries of the Company.
- 4,13,633 No. of equity shares allotted to erstwhile shareholders of
Tamil Nadu, Dadha Pharmaceuticals pursuant to a scheme of
- The boards of Tamilnadu Dadha Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (TDPL) and Sun
Pharmaceuticals Ltd. have approved a 1:4 swap ratio for the merger of
- The company also set up a state of the art research centre named
Sun Pharma advanced Research Centre (SPARC) in Vadodara.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals to set a new tablet manufacturing facility at
Silvassa in Dadra and Nagar Haveli as part of its strategy to
maximize benefits on the tax shelter front. The new unit is expected
to come up close to Sun's existing formulations facility at piparia in
- During the year the company launched Duracard that not only affects
Blood pressure but also has beneficial effect on the cholestrol
profile and glucose metabolishm.
- Another product launched was Cardivas, that has an ability to pump
blood through the body there by reducing the strain on the heart
during heart failure.
- The company also launched Muvera, an anti inflammatory drug and
Octapeptide Octride, an emergency medication in treating oesophagel
varices, severe bleeding in the upper part of the gastrointestinal
tract and also in the treatment of acromegaly an endocrine disorder
caused by the excess growth of hormone secretion.
- 2,08,000 shares of Rs. 10 each allotted to shareholders of
erstwhile Milment Labs. Pvt. Ltd. Pursuant to a scheme of
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries has converted its partnership export
entity, Sun Pharma Exports, into a 100 per cent subsidiary, effective
from 5th May.
- Sun Pharma Exports, a partnership firm in which SPIL held 80 per
cent stake, to Sunkalp Laboratories, a 100 per cent subsidiary of
SPIL, with effect from 12th May.
- In addition to this the company has set up state-of-the-art
facilities for R&D in Baroda to carry out research in
- A leading Indian Company will set up a pharmaceutical plant in
Bangladesh under a joint venture.
- The hiving-off of Sun Pharmaceutical Exports into a 100 per cent
subsidiary and increase in interest burden affected the bottomline.
- The Company has merged its wholly owned export subsidiary Sun
Pharma Exports with itself.
- The Company is looking at an over 70 per cent growth rate in India,
driven primarily by the company's products and education services
- As per the Scheme of Amalgamation, SPIL shall issue four equity
shares of Rs 10 each of SPIL to the members of SPEL for every five
equity shares held in SPEL.
- The Company, on 1st April, allotted 3,08,44,466 Bonus Equity Shares
of Rs. 10/- each, to the shaeholders of hte Company in the ratio o f 2
Bonus Equity shares for eveyr 1 Equity share held by the shareholders
and Bonus equity Shares will be entitled to any dividend declared
- The Company has launched Edegra (Sidenefil) in 25, 50 and 100mg.
- During June 2000, the company introduced several products including
Celact (celecoxib), Oleanz (olanzapine), Rofact (rofecoxib), Nodict
(naltrexone), Fexotrol (fexofenadine), Zelast (azolastine) and
- In June 2000, Sun Pharma merged its 99.28% subsidiary - Sun
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd has approved the merger of the
ailing Pradeep Drug Company Ltd.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. is to merge its research arm Sun
Pharmaceutical Advanced Research Centre Ltd.
- During 2000-01, across the company's eight speciality divisions, 33
new products were launched. Taking the lead for new products among the
therapy areas were cardiology (6 products), diabetology (4) and
opthalmology (6). Likely brand outperformers among these are the
antihypertensive Irovel (Rapilin, Pioglit, Rezult) for antidiabetics
and the erectile dysfunction treatment Edegra.
- The company, ranked 5th by domestic prescription product sales, has
been consistently adding to market share from 2.47% in November 2000
to 2.78% in November 2001 (ORG Retail Chemist Audit, November 2000
and 2001). Forbes Global, the prestigious international magazine
recently rated Sun Pharma among the best 200 global companies for
less than 0mill).
-Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, associate of Sun
Pharmaceuticals, has received US Food and Drug Authority (FDA)
preliminary approval for metformin hydrochloride, a molecule used to
- Currently, the company is in process of merging Pradeep Drug
Company (PDC) with itself. The company shareholders have approved the
merger w.e.f. 1 April 2000. The scheme has been duly sanctioned by
BIFR at its meeting held on Jan 2002.
- Sun Pharma has made an open offer to the investors in Ahmedabad,
Calcutta, Madras, Pondicherry and Delhi stock exchages to purchase
the shares at price of Rs 600 per share. The offer is limited to
those shareholders whose names are registered as members of the
company as on 26/03/2002, the record date.
-Sun Pharmaceutical Industries has launched Lupride Depot IM, a novel
drug delivery system of prostate cancer drug leuprolide acetate, which
would enabel the drug to be injected once in a month as against once
in a day or once in three days drugs.
-Mr Keki Mistry, Managing Director of HDFC, has been inducted into
the board of directors of Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
-The Board of Directors of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd at its
meeting held allotted 18,71,77,232 6% Cumulative Redeemable
Preference Shares of Re 1 each as Bonus Shares in the ratio of 4:1
(ie 4 Preference Shares of Re 1 each for every one equity shares of
Rs 10 each) to the equity shareholders of the company as on the
record date October 10, 2002.
-Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd (Sun Pharma) has announced the
Buyback of fully paid-up equity shares of the Company of face value
of Rs 10 each and / or Rs 5 each (being face value and paid up value
subsequent to the splitting of the equity shares of Rs 10 into 2
equity shares) not exceeding 2,000,000 equity shares of Rs 10 each
and/or 4,000,000 equity shares of Rs 5 each i.e. not exceeding equity
shares of face value of Rs 20,000,000 being less than 25% of the
paid-up equity share capital of the company for an aggregate amount
not exceeding Rs 1200,000,000 upto a maximum price of Rs 750 per
equity share of Rs 10 each or upto a maximum price of Rs 375 per
equity share of Rs 5 each from the existing shareholders and
beneficial owners of the shares of the company from open market
through stock exchanges.
-Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd has informed the Exchange that
the Board of Directors at its meeting held on January 30, 2003
accepted the resignation of Shri R K Baheti, Senior Vice President -
Finance and Company secretary of the Company w.e.f 31/1/2003 and the
Board appointed Shri Kamlesh H Shah as the Company Secretary w.e.f.
-Sun Pharmaceuticals’ US-based associate, Caraco Pharmaceutical
Laboratories, has received the approval from the US Food and Drug
Administration (US FDA) to manufacture and market yet another generic
drug, this time for the treatment of mild to moderate cardiac failure,
in the US. The drug, Digoxin, is the generic form of Glaxo Wellcome’s
Lanoxin, the company said.
-Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd has informed BSE that it has
further redeemed 1,42,99,833, 6% Cumulative Redeemable Preference
Shares of Re 1 each amounting to Rs 1,42,99,833 in the fifth lot out
of the total paid - up Preference Share Capital of the company.
-Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd has informed the Exchange that
the company pursuant to the earlier intimation about Redemption of
Preference Shares, have extinguished /cancelled 3,01,20,608 shares -
6% Cumulative Redeemable Preference Shares of Re.1/- each consisting
of 2,98,37,008 Preference Shares in demat mode and 2,93,376
Preference Shares in physical mode.
-Board approved to close buy back of shares
-The company's equity shares will be delisted from Vadodara Stock
- Sun Pharma acquires common stock and options from 2 large
shareholders of Caraco, increasing stake to over 60% from 44% at a
total outlay of about million. By 2007, this stake has reached
75% on a diluted basis. The formulation site in Halol, India (the
erstwhile MJ Pharma site) receives approval from USFDA, UK MHRA,
South African MCC, Brazilian ANVISA and Columbian INVIMA. The BT
Stern Stewart survey places Sun Pharma among the top 20 wealth
creators in India and among the top 3 wealth creators in the pharma
sector. Construction at a formulation manufacturing site at Jammu is
completed. Our first joint venture manufacturing unit, in Dhaka,
Bangladesh is commissioned. This modern site is spread over 25,000
- Two of Sun Pharma's API factories receive USFDA approval, taking
the total number of US FDA approved sites to three.
- Sun Pharma acquires a Cephalosporin Actives manufacturer, Phlox
Pharma, with European approval for cefuroxime axetil amorphous. By
2007, a formulations facility to make sterile and non sterile
formulations have been built, and the API and non-sterile sections
have been approved by the USFDA.
- Niche brands are bought from the San Diego, US based Women's First
Healthcare. (WFHC, not listed). These brands are the gynecological
Ortho-Est® (estropipate), and the antimigraine preparation Midrin®.
- Forbes Global ranks Sun Pharma in the list of most valuable
companies for 2004 (turnover less than bill).
-Sun Pharma buys a plant in Bryan, Ohio, US and the business of ICN,
Hungary from Valeant Pharma.
-Sun Pharma acquires the intellectual property and assets of Able
Labs from the US District Bankruptcy court in New Jersey in December
-Dilip Shanghvi, the CMD, receives the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year
award in healthcare and life sciences for 2005.
-Sun Pharma is selected by Forbes amongst the best 200 companies
(sales less than USD 1 billion) in Asia. This is the fourth time in 5
years that the company has been selected.
-Registered Office of the Company has been shifted From SPARC, Akota
Road,Akota, Vadodara-390 020 To SPARC,Tandalja,Vadodara-390020.
- Announced the demerger of innovative business with pipelines,
people, equipment and funding, into a new company.
- Completed the demerger of the innovative business, with requisite
legal and regulatory approvals. SPARC ltd, the new company, is listed
on the stock exchanges in India, the first pure research company to be
- In May 2007, we, along with our subsidiaries, signed definitive
agreements to acquire Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., (TAROF,
Pink Sheets), a multinational generic manufacturer with established
subsidiaries, manufacturing and products across the U.S., Israel,
Canada for 4 mill. This all-cash deal is subject to Taro
shareholder approval and requisite regulatory clearances
-Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd on January 30, 2008 announced that
it has commercially launched generic Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed
Release (DR) Tablets, 40 mg, which is AB-rated to Wyeth's Protonix DR
Tablets. Sun's product is being sold in the United States by its
marketing partner Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories.
- In November 2008, we along with our subsidiaries, acquired 100%
ownership of Chattem Chemicals, Inc.,a narcotic raw material importer
and manufacturer of controlled substances with a approved facility in
Tennessee. This will offer vertical integration for our controlled
substance dosage form business in the US.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (Sun) has completed the acquisition
of a controlling stake in Taro Pharmaceutical Industries (Taro)
following the Option Agreement entered into in 2007 with Taro's
controlling shareholders led by Taro's Chairman Barrie Levitt.
- Sun Pharmaceutical on Sept 8 won a significant victory in its
three-year-old battle to acquire Taro Pharmaceuticals.
- Sun Pharma - Sun Pharma announced launch of generic Exelon in US
- Sun Pharma - Supreme Court of Israel Rules in Favor of Sun Pharma
-Company has splits its Face value of Shares from Rs 5 to Re 1
- SunPharma - Merck & Co., Inc., and Sun Pharma Establish Joint
Venture to Develop and Commercialize Novel Formulations and
Combinations of Medicines in Emerging Markets.
- SunPharma - MSD in India and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
entered Strategic Partnership to Co-market MSD's diabetes drug.
- Merck & Co., Inc., and Sun Pharma Establish Joint Ventured to
Develop and Commercialize Novel Formulations and Combinations of
Medicines in Emerging Markets
- Sun Pharma - MSD in India and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Enter Strategic Partnership to Co-market MSD's diabetes drug.
- Sun Pharma bagged USFDA approval for its AND Application for
- Israel Makov appointed Chairman of Sun Pharma Board
- Sun Pharma acquired URL generic business from Takeda
- The Norwegian firm Telenor conduct its operations in India,
promoters of Sun Pharma emerged as the new JV partner of the
-Sun Pharma announces US FDA approval for generic Cymbalta®
-Sun Pharma and Intrexon Form Joint Venture to Develop New Class of
Therapeutics for Ocular Diseases
-Sun Pharma announces USFDA approval for generic Prevacid®
-Sun Pharma announces USFDA approval for generic DepoÂ®-Testosterone
-Sun Pharma Announces 1:1 Bonus
-Sun pharma announces Tentative USFDA approval for generic Januvia &
-Sun Pharma announces USFDA approval for generic DoxilÂ®
-Sun Pharma announces US FDA approval for generic Temodar®
-Sun Pharma acquires Pharmalucence
-Sun Pharma and Merck & Co. Inc. Enter into Licensing Agreement for
-Sun Pharma to acquire Ranbaxy in a US$ 4 billion landmark
-Sun Pharma receives US FTC clearance for Ranbaxy acquisition
-Sun Pharma and AstraZeneca enter into distribution agreement for
ticagrelor in India
-SPARC Licenses Xelpros (Latanoprost BAK-free) to Sun Pharma
-Hon'ble High Court of Gujarat, at Ahmedabad has approved the Scheme
of Amalgamation of Sun Pharma Global Inc. (SPGI), wholly-owned
subsidiary of the Company
-Sun Pharma announces US FDA Approval for Ximino TM
-Sun Pharma announces successful completion of Opiates business
acquisition in Australia
-Sun Pharma announces Absorica patent litigation settlement
-Sun Pharma Successfully Acquires Insite Vision