1945 - The Bank was Incorporated at Travancore. The Bank transacts
general banking business of every description including
exchange business. The Bank also undertakes Government
1960 - The Bank became a subsidiary of the State Bank of India under
State Bank of India (Subsidiary Banks) Act, 1959.
1961 - Three banking companies, namely The Travancore Forward Bank
The Kottayam Orient Bank Ltd., and the Bank of New India
which were under moratorium from 18th December, 1960, were
amalgamated with the Bank under schemes of amalgamation
by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The Cochin Nayar Bank Ltd., and the Latin Christian Bank
which were under moratorium from 13th October, 1963 and 23rd
February 1964 respectively were amalgamated with the Bank
effect from 8th February and 17th August, 1964 respectively.
1965 - The Bank commenced conducting government cash business. The
assists in the development of small scale units and
institutions. The Bank also extends credit facilities to the
users of warehouses set up by the Central and State
Corporations in its area of operation.
1985 - 3,00,000 No. of equity shares issued at par to State Bank of
1991 - 16,00,000 No. of equity shares issued to State Bank of India.
1992 - To extend more personalized and effective services to the
the bank created the NRI division/cells in 24 branches and
proposed to open four specialised branches for NRI business
- A Branch Health Card was also introduced during the year in
to assess, monitor and take corrective action of various
of branch functioning as well as supervision by the
1995 - 15,00,000 No. of equity shares issued on Rights basis at a
of Rs 450 per share.
1996 - The Bank's Rights Issue of Equity shares of Rs.100 each at a
premium of Rs.450 per share aggregating to Rs.82.50 crores
opened for subscription on the 7th February 1996 and closed
on the 7th March.
- The Bonds issue opened for subscription on the 15th January
and closed on the 27th March. As against the issue size of
1997 - The Bank launched `Liquid Gold' a new loan product against
security of gold to meet the needs of customers in the
as well as trading segments and to impart liquidity to their
savings locked up in the form of gold.
- Another new concept, loan scheme viz. `Homestead Farming'
launched for farmers taking into accounts the small and
holding pattern in Kerala.
- The Bank also launched `Nava Swarna Vaisha', a modified
of the bank's insurance linked deposit scheme `Saptha Varsha'
that enables depositor to avail exception from capital gain
A few other deposit/loan schemes were also to be introduced
- Six new branches were opened taking the total branch network
660. As at the end of March 1998, the bank had 12 pending
licences/authorisation for opening of new branches/offices.
Bank's hompage on internet was launched.
- 15,00,000 No. of equity shares issued through a prospectus at
prem. of 500 per share. Of these 3,46,000 shares were issued
allotted to SBI. Balance 11,54,000 shares issued to the
- State Bank of Travancore has entered into a second
with City Exchange LIC in Dubai for special drawing
to improve the coverage of the large Gulf NRI clientele from
- The Bangalore-based Sonata Software Ltd has developed two
Internet commerce modules, Web Alert and Web Trader for State
Bank of Travancore (SBT) on their SBT accounting systems.
- The bank had earlier become the first Kerala-based bank to
undertake the management of an exchange company in West Asia,
when it started the City Exchange Company, LLC in Dubai
this year. Bank sources said the incremental credit-deposit
ratio for SBT in Kerala stood at over 60 per cent.
- The Rs 130-crore Asianet Communications Limited, the only
Malaysian television channel, is all set to make a major
into value-added services to meet the challenges posed by the
proposed direct-to-home (DTH) services and other developments
in communications technology.
- In the first phase, Asianet is tying up with the State Bank
Travancore (SBT) for providing interconnectivity to all its
branches through its cable network.
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT) is the second SBI associate
to hit the primary market with a Rs. 90-crore issue a week
after the closing of the State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur
(SBBJ) Rs.65.94-crore issue.
- The bank is a member of the SWIFT which enables satellite
connectivity of its zonal offices and main branches.
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT), a subsidiary of State Bank of
India, has been granted autonomy by the Union Government.
other subsidiaries of SBI -- State Bank of Patiala and State
Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur -- have also been accorded
- Asianet has entered into a strategic tie-up with the
Dubai-based World of Stars Advertising (WoSA).
1998 - State Bank of Travancore and State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur
shares' dematerialisation is facing a roadblock as a State
of India (Subsidiaries Banks) Act, 1959, clause says that no
person can acquire shares in excess of 200 units in any of
- The Bank launched new products tailored to meet the differing
needs of various customers.
- Liquid Gold, a new loan product (against the security of
was launched to meet the needs of customers in the Personal
well as Trading segments and impart liquidity to their
locked up in the form of gold.
- Homestead Farming, a new composite loan scheme for farmers
taking into account the small land holding pattern in Kerala,
- Nava Swarna Varsha, a modified version of our insurance
- Saptha Varsha, which enables the depositor to avail exemption
from Capital Gains Tax were also introduced in the market
- The Bank's maiden Public Issue of 11,54,000 equity shares of
100 each at a premium of Rs. 500 per share.
1999 - The State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has launched a `kissan
card' scheme aimed at catering to the short-term credit
requirements of farmers.
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT) in coming out with a welfare
scheme for non-resident Indians from Kerala in association
United India Insurance Co. Ltd. The scheme provides personal
accident cover for NRIs as well as health cover for their
members. Parents can all also be covered under the same
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has slapped a legal notice on
beleaguered Essar Steel for non-payment of dues to the tune of
2.88 crore even as the new generation steel major hoping for
last-minute bailout by financial institutions on its 0
floating rate notes (FRN) due for redemption on July 20.
- STATE Bank of Travancore (SBT) has introduced an education
scheme, Gyan Jyothi, for students pursuing higher education
recognised institutions in India and abroad.
- STATE Bank of Travancore which entered into a tie-up with Al
Fardan Exchange in Abu Dhabi, to offer speedy remittances in
rupees and dollars, plans to attract more deposits by
correspondent arrangements with exchange houses and banks in
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has opened its millennium
at Kumaranaloor in Kottayam district.
- The Bank launched SUPER SURPLUS - A recurring deposit scheme
offers flexibility to depositors to vary their amount of
instalments in accordance with monthly surplus available.
- THE 786 SCHEME - A new Deposit Scheme for those discerning
customers who do not wish to earn interest on their deposits.
- SAHAYA VARSHA - Clean demand loan facility for meeting the
short term personal requirements of customers repayable within
- MITRA VARSHA - An overdraft scheme available to individuals
avail a single advance against a basket of securities like
NSCs, KVPs, IVPs, Units of US 64 of UTI, LIC Policies etc.
- KISAN CARD - A running Agricultural Cash Credit facility to
the short term requirements of farmers with provision for
their family's contingent needs to a limited extent.
- NRI FAMILY WELFARE SCHEME - A unique and innovative insurance
scheme for personal accident cover for NRIs and medical
cover for their families upto 6 persons including parents.
- CITY FLASH - A Telex/Fax Fund transfer arrangement with City
Exchange LLC., Dubai, guaranteeing credit to the customers'
account within 24/48 hrs., in 60 selected branches.
- The Bank has also joined the RBI VSAT network, INFINET by
subscribing to two VSATs initially.
- The Bank has been honoured with Sevaratna Award instituted by
the Indo Arab Confederation Council and NRI Welfare
for providing excellent customer service.
2000 - State Bank of Travancore launched Net Banking.
- Mr. P.N. Venkatachalam, deputy managing director of
State Bank of
India, has taken over as managing director of State
Travancore from Mr. Vepa Kamesan, former managing
director of the
- The Bank has entered into a remittance arrangement with
Al Rajhi Banking
and Investment Corporation of Saudi Arabia.
2001 - State Bank of Travancore is likely to accept all the
voluntary retirement scheme
applications it received.
- The Bank proposes to introduce high-tech mobile banking
facility for the bank's
2002-Amitabha Guha appointed as Managing Director of State Bank of
-SBT slashes deposit rates on FCNR deposits on US dollar, pound
sterling and Euro.
-P V Shivasankara Pillai is the new officer Employee Director on the
Board of the
-State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has launched a new personal loan
scheme for the employees of institutions and companies. Under the
scheme, namely Akshaya, rated institutions and companies such as
universities, Maruti Udyog Ltd, Kochi Refineries, Kerala Minerals and
Metals Ltd, Travancore Titanium Products and Cochin Shipyard can get
into an agreement with SBT to enable their employees avail themselves
of loans from the bank.
-The State Bank of Travancore and Cochin University of Science and
Technology has entered into an agreement to implement the new SBT
Akshaya Overdraft Scheme for the benefit of CUSAT employees. As per
the scheme, employees can avail themselves of loans ranging from Rs
50,000 to Rs 2 lakh depending upon their eligibility.
- Maithri, the house journal from State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has
been adjudged the best journal devoted to women by the Public
Relations Society of India (PRSI)
-SBT 's SSI (Small Scale Industry sector) branches at
Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Alappuzha, and the non-resident
Indian branch at Attingal have received the ISO 9001:2000
- State Bank of Travancore has launched a special loan scheme for the
purchase of tractors. Called the `tractor special loan scheme', the
initiative is targeted at farmers, non-governmental organisations,
agro-business centres and so on.
-State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has unveiled a loan scheme for the
benefit of nurses seeking employment abroad. Under the SBT nurses
suvidha scheme, loans are available to meet the expenses for
migration abroad, registration, test and interview, agency
commission, visa charges and airfare.
-The State Bank of Travancore has opened its cross-selling department
at SBT Bhavan in Kochi
- Mr K.K. Chattopadhyay new General Manager of Commercial,
Institutional and International Banking wing.
-State Bank of Travancore has launched a housing loan scheme for
employees of the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB)
-State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has launched a new Bhavanasree rural
housing loan scheme for those below the poverty line
-G Damodaran has joined State Bank of Travancore (SBT) as the General
Manager in charge of the Vigilance & Inspection Wing
-BAL ties up with State Bank of Travancore
-SBT launches RTGS services to customers
-SBT wins national award for lending to SSI sector
-SBT introduces new gold card scheme for exporters
-SBT unveils new scheme for senior citizens
-SBT inks pact with Punjab Tractors on Jan 18, 2005
-SBT ties up with UAE Exchange Centre
-State Bank of Travancore unveils Malayalam website
-SBT launches new loan scheme for road transport operators on April
-SBT join hands with Almoayyed for exchange house in Bahrain
-State Bank of Travancore has bagged national award instituted by the
Ministry of Small Scale Industries for excellence in lending to the
small-scale industries sector
-State Bank of Travancore (SBT) launches an all-India toll-free
infoline (1600 425 5566) here on Nov 11. To be `live' 8 a.m. through
8 p.m. seven days a week
-SBT appoints Sitaramam as new MD
-Thiruvananthapuram: State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has inked a
memorandum of understanding with Crisil for rating of small and
medium enterprises. As per the MoU, Crisil will give rating services
to the clients of SBT at a concessional fee.
- State Bank of Travancore has set up an extension counter with core
banking facilities at Malikappuram Buildings in Sabarimala.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs100/- to Rs10/-.
- State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has announced the opening of its
branch at Kukatpally, whixh is the seventh of SBT in Andhra Pradesh.
- The State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has slashed interest rates on
various agricultural loans for the period of 16th September to 31st
March next to help the farmers in view of the weak monsoon.
-Smt. Jameela Prakasam has been appointed as Compliance Officer of
-State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has signed a memorandum of
understanding (MoU) with the Unique Identification Authority of India
(UIDAI) and thus becomes the first bank in Kerala to be a registrar
for the Aadhaar project.
-Shri Pratip Chaudhuri has been appointed as Chairman of the bank.
-State Bank of Travancore has declared a final dividend of Rs 10 per
-State Bank of Travancore has declared a final dividend of Rs. 2/-
per share n addition to the interim dividend of Rs. 16/- per share