The Company was incorporated on 24th October, 1955 at Bombay.The
Company manufactures styrene, polystyrene, vinyl chloride, polyvinyl
chloride, polyethylene, cellulose, plastics, thermosetting plastics,
thermoplastic materials and other chemical products. The products
are marketed under the trade names `STYRON',`POLYSTYRENE' and
With a view of diversification, the Company proposed to enter into
the electronic components field by promoting a new company.
In 1983-84, the Company received approval of Government for
modernising polysterene plant.
Use of Dow trade mark STYRON for polystyrene formulations was
discontinued with effect from 1st September, 1978 and polystyrene
material was included in the trademark of POLYSTRON.
The Company entered into a collaboration agreement with Dow Chemical
A.G., West Germany.
After receiving approval of the concerned authorities, as on 27th
May, 1987, Dow Chemical AG, diverted their entire holding of 9,00,000
equity shares in Polychem Ltd.