1958 - The Company was incorporated on 26th April, as a private
company under the name Kopran Chemical Company Pvt. Ltd. by
Ramanlal V Shah, Sevantilal A Shah, Chimanlal G Sheth and
Jivanalal M Shah in 1972, the Company's management was
by Chemo Pharma Laboratories Ltd and the Company's products
marketed by them.
1984 - The Company was converted into a public limited company on
1985 - In a special purpose antibiotic bulk drug Cephlaxin
and an anti-TB formulation Rifampicin were launched in
co-operation with Yuhan Corporation, South Korea to Support
expanding product base the Company integrated backwards into
manufacture of 6APA a raw material required for bulk drug
1990 - The Company changed its name to Kopran Limited on 22nd
- The Company is engaged in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals
bulk drugs. Originally the Company manufactured medical
formulations with production of bulk drugs and drug
being introduced in 1983.
- The Company has built up its strengths in the production of a
wide range of semi-synthetic Penicillins such as Ampicillin
trihydrate, Cloxacillin Sodium and Amoxycillin Trihydrate in
addition to producing several other bulk drugs and
prominent amongst which are VENT, ATEN, TINI 300, BREN 400
1992 - The Company was amongst the first to launch a new concept in
treatment of ulcers-Omeprazole under the brand name of LOKIT.
- The company has been one of the promoters of Pharmacuetical
Business Group (India) Ltd. a company which has been promoted
along with M/s Lyka Laboratories Ltd., Themis Chemicals Ltd.,
Cadila Laboratories Ltd. and Anant & Co. to acquire the
management of Gujarat Themis Biosyn Ltd.- a company
basic drugs from fermentation.
- In November, the company issued for public subscription
equity shares of Rs 10/- each at a premium of Rs 80/- per
aggregating Rs 1440 lakhs and subsequent to that the capital
increased to Rs 8,00,00,000.
1993 - The company has once again won the second award for export
performance for the year 1991-92 from CHEMEXCIL.
1994 - The Company promoted two subsidiaries, viz., Kopran
in United Kingdom and Kopran (H.K.) based in HongKong.
- The Company have been rewarded by two esteemed awards
during 1993 viz., Indian Drug Manufacturers Association's
EXCELLENCE AWARD 1993 and the EUROPE QUALITY AWARD - 1993.
1995 - The Company issued Bonus Equity Shares in the ratio of 1:2,
thereby increasing the Capital by Rs. 4.00 crores.
1996 - The Company has received the TRISHUL Award under the Large
Manufacturer category from CHEMEXCIL and Certificate of Merit
from the Ministry of Commerce.
- The Company has launched various new products like TRASIC
(Tramadol - a potent analgesic). SOLOFLOX (Lomefloxacin - a
anti-bacterial), ZIMAT (Cetirizine - an anti-allergic) apart
various brand extensions and newer combinations.
1997 - The company launched various new products like AZ-1 Caps.
Tabs, Moclox Kid Tabs, Amyn Kid Tabs, Tini-NF, Amyn Caps,
- The company entered into a joint venture with M/s. Industrial
Promotion Services Ltd. (a subsidiary of the Aga Khan Fund
Economic Development) to take over a running unit viz.
Pharmaceutical Industries (1996) Ltd, in Uganda.
- Kopran Limited has won for the fourth time in a row, the IDMA
Award for Quality Excellence
- Kopran Ltd, the second largest manufacturer of semi-synthetic
penicillins in the world.
- Kopran Ltd has entered into a memorandum of understanding
with Pharmacare Ltd to set up a 50:50 joint venture project
the manufacture of penicillin-based products in South Africa.
1998 - Kopran Drugs Ltd and Synpac Pharmaceuticals Ltd (UK) have
entered into a strategic alliance whereby Synpac will be a
primary supplier of penicillin G to Kopran Drugs Ltd and
buy back Penicillin based products from Kopran Drugs for the
- Kopran Ltd has set up a dedicated marketing division for the
same, under Kresp.
1999 - Kopran Drugs Ltd, set up under a strategic alliance with the
UK-based Synpac Pharmaceuticals.
- Kopran is re-examining its diagnostics tie-up with US-based
Chiron Diagnostics following the latter's proposed global
takeover by Bayer Diagnostics.
- Kopran Ltd is setting up a pharmaceutical company in Dubai in
association with Dubai Investments PJSC (Public Joint Stock
- Kopran has a state-of-the-art formulations plant at Sarvoli,
which is expected to stand the company in good stead for
targeting export markets.
- The UK-based Synpac Pharmaceuticals, a leading penicillin
manufacturer, is set to become a joint venture partner in
Kopran Drugs, the antibiotics division which was hived off
from the fast growing Kopran Ltd.
2000 - Kopran Pharmaceuticals, associated with the popular Smyle
brand, has introduced the `American Dreams' range of fine
perfumes in India, under a distribution arrangement with a
- Kopran Pharmaceuticals to launch another umbrella brand
along the lines of its flagship brand Smyle.
- The Company has decided to issue equity shares to members,
employees, NRIs, OCBs, FIIs, MFs, IFIs, companies and/or other
entity/entities and to such other persons by way of public
rights issue preferential allotment or on private placement
- Kopran Pharmaceuticals has launched a range of digestive
branded Yum Tum.
- KResp, a division of Kopran Ltd., has launched a new aerosol
holding device, which is smaller in size called `Vent-Mate'.
- Pharmaceuticals company Kopran Ltd has tied up with E Merck
India for marketing
Atorvastain, a new product in the anti-cholesterol segment,
- Kopran Ltd have fixed the swap ratio for the merger of
group company Kopran
Pharmaceuticals with it at 17:1.
- Kopran Ltd is to issue 40 lakh equity shares at Rs 150 per
share to shareholders of
group company Kopran Pharmaceuticals Ltd, as part of the
2001 - The Company has tied up with E Merck Ltd for a co-marketing
arrangement for a new
antiinflammatory oranalgestic drug Rofecoxib, for the
- Kopran Ltd. is launching Dr Smyle Prickly Heat Powder,
in a pack of 150g.
- Kopran Ltd, the Rs 900 crore pharma major, has sold the
marketing rights for its anti-hypertensive drug
'Aten' to Zydus Cadila for a consideration of Rs 75 crore.
2002-Kopran Ltd has informed BSE that Mr Humayun Dhanrajgir has
resigned from Directorship.
-Receives approval from the patent office of the US for its new
chemical entity (NCE), KNC-6
-Received an approval for restructuring its high cost debts from the
Corporate Debt Restructuring (CDR) Cell. The key highlights of this
restructuring is as follows:
1. The rates of interest both on long term debts and the working
capital borrowing would come down from the current 13.50% to 9%
leading to significant reduction of the interest cost.
2. The repayments of long-term debts have been rescheduled to be paid
3. Release of additional working capital to meet requirements of the
planned growth in business.
- HSBC Financial Services has acquired a 6.06 per cent stake in
Kopran Pharmaceuticals, taking its holding in the Mumbai-based
pharmaceutical company to 10.01 per cent.
-Kopran receives approval from EDQM for its API facility at Mahad
Kopran Ltd has informed that The Stock Exchange Ahmedabad (ASE) vide
letter dated April 08, 2004 have delisted the shares of the Company
w.e.f. April 08, 2004.
-Merrill Lynch Capital Markets Espana SA SV, has acquired an 8.49 per
cent stake in drug maker Kopran through the open market
-Kopran Ltd has informed that at the meeting of the BoD of the
company held on July 31, 2004, Board has recorded and accepted the
resignation of Mr. Tapan Ray, Managing Director of the company with
effect from October 31, 2004
- The Company has appointed Mr.H.P.Vyas as Company Secretary.
- The Company has entered into a Strategic Alliance with Merck
Specialities Pvt Ltd.
- The company has signed a distribution pact with Mumbai-based Manish
Pharma for its complete range of over the counter (OTC) products.
- The company has appointed Mr. Abhinav Mathur as a Company Secretary
& Compliance Officer.
- Kopran Ltd. is launching a new brand SPARKLE in the FMCG
category.The first product which would be launched would be
Toothpaste, followed by various other products.