- The company was incorporated on 30th May, 1955 as a Private
Company under the name of `The Commercial Printing Press Ltd.', and
took over the printing division of Tata Sons Ltd. In 1965 it was
converted into a Public Limited Company. The main objects of the
company is printing, publishing, graphic designing and to deal in
horological products of all types, timing devices and related
- The name of the company was changed to Tata Press Ltd., in 1966.
Company is one of the leading printers in the country with
state-of-the-art facilities for providing complete print service.
- The range of work produced includes corporate annual reports,
issue documentation, newspapers, magazines, periodicals, publicity
materials, books, directories, catalogues, calanders, dairies,
stationery, security printing, office stationery, phototypesetting,
halftones, colour separations and plates.
- Out of the total shares issued till date, 1,480 shares were issued
fully paid-up pursuant to a contract without payment in cash.
- The Time products division was established and it was engaged in
providing technical and commercial services related to the sale of
France Ebauches' movements to watch assemblers, mainly in the
- 2,200 bonus equity shares issued in prop. 2:3.
- In July, the Company installed new phototypesetting equipment from
the Alphatype Corporation featuring a high quality CRT typesetter,
three video terminals, a line printer and a paper-tape punch and a
- New equipments were installed in the studio, printing and
- New equipment installed included a microprocessor controlled
four-colour sheet-fed press and an electronic colour scanner.
- The Company undertook to set up a second printing unit at Nerul in
- 2,500 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 7:11.
- A new four-colour web-offset press was installed replacing
- The Company issued 4,50,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at
premium of Rs 12 per share and 2,00,000-15% secured non-convertible
debentures of Rs 100 each. Out of this 9,000 No. equity shares and
4,000 debentures were reserved for preferential allotment to
associates of the Company and 22,500 No. of equity shares and 1,000
debentures were reserved for preferential allotment to the employees
the Company. The Balance 4,18,500 No. of equity shares and 1,86,000
debentures along with the unsubscribed portion of the categories was
offered for public subscription during November.
- The Company embarked on the first phase of modernisation and
installed an electronic page make-up system in the prepress area. A
high speed, high volume adhesive binder was installed.
- During November, the Company issued 1,31,250-13.5% secured
convertible debentures of Rs 200 each. Of the issue, 6,250
were reserved for allotment to the employees (including Indian
directors) on an equitable basis and the balance of 1,25,000
were offered to the existing equity shareholders on a rights basis
the proportion of 1 debentures for every 10 equity shares held.
Additional 31,250 debentures were allotted to retain
- A portion of Rs 80 of each debenture was to be automatically and
compulsorily converted into 2 equity shares of Rs 10 each at a
of Rs 30 per share as on 1st April, 1987. The non-convertible
of Rs 120 of each debenture would be redeemed at par at the end of
years from the date of allotment of the debentures.
- A Heidelberg four colour printing machine with computer process
control was installed at the Nerul plant.
- 3,25,000 No. of share issued in part conversion of debentures.
- The Company installed a Heidelberg Speedmaster two colour
machine and a Muller Martini automatic Sewing Line.
- 7,78,500 Rights shares issued (prem. Rs 12 per share, prop. 1:2).
Aditional 1,18,125 shares allotted to retain over-subscription.
Another 39,375 shares offered to employees (prem. Rs 12 per share).
Only 34,375 shares taken up and the balance 5,000 shares allowed to
- The Company launched its own yellow pages for the city of Mumbai.
Yellow pages product was launched in Delhi also.
- At the 25th All India Pinters' Conference and Pamex 91 held at
Calcutta, the Company was awarded the prestigious Framroze R
Memorial Trophy for overall excellence in colour printing. Besides,
the Company, also won eleven awards the highest number of excellence
- The right Issue of 7,87,500 No. of Equity Shares of Rs 10/ each at
premium of Rs 12/ per share, approved by the shareholders at the
Annual General Meeting, evoked goods response from the Shareholders
was oversubscribed by more than 52%.
- The Company alloted 9,40,000 Equity Shares of Rs 10/ each at a
premium of Rs 12/ per share aggregating Rs 206.80 lakhs.
the paid up share capital has gone up by Rs 94 lakhs and the share
premium account by Rs 112.80 lakhs with effect from 28th February.
- The Company has recently installed and commissioned a new photo
- The Company installed its second high speed web offset commercial
press apart from commissioning a hand case bookbinding line.
- During December 1992-January 1993, the Company issued 12,57,500
of Equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 90 per share on
rights basis in the proportion of 1:2 (all were taken up).
- The Directors propose to make a Rights Issue of Equity Shares in
ratio of 1:2 at a premium of Rs 90 per Share.
- The Credit Rating Information Services of India Limited has
an A Credit Rating to these Debentures signifying adequate safety
with regard to timely payment of interest and principal.
- The Company launched the Yellow pages in Bangalore and Ahmedabad.
- The Company has now launced a Yellow Pages project at Delhi also.
During the year, the Company has installed its second high speed web
offset commercial press.
- During the year the Company issued Rights Shares in the Ratio 1:2
a premium of Rs. 90/- per share. The issue was over-subscribed.
- The Company entered into an agreement with Donnelley for a
partnership in India in order to achieve accelerated growth through
products and technologies, as also access to Donnelley's global
- Donnelly had received permission to set up a 100% subsidiary viz.
`R.R. Donnelley (India) Private Ltd.' in India.
- The Company proposed to issue 12,90,000 No. of equity shares at a
price of Rs 280 per share on preferential basis to R. R. Donnelley
(India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Vantech Investments Ltd., and Design Shop (India) Ltd. are the
subsidiary of the Company.
- During the year, the Company installed its second saddle stitcher
binding machine and its second fuly automatic perfect binding
- The Company has also launched the Tata Press Yellow Pages in
Bangalore and Ahmedabad.
- The Company launched the `Tata Press Exporters Pages' with a view
- During the year, the Company installed a Heidelberg Speedmaster
colour perfecting machine and a Muller Martini Automatic Sewing
- A Shareholders' Agreement will be signed between Tata Sons Limited
and R. R. Donnelley (India) Private Limited.
- The Company acquired a state-of-the Veha-violet coating machine.
- The Company changed the name from `Tata Press Ltd'. to `Tata
Donnelley Ltd.' on order to reflect the spirit of the relationship
between Tatas and R.R. Donnelley, the two major shareholders.
- The Company released its yellow pages for Chennai, Mumbai and New
Delhi on CD-ROM and the Exporter's pages on the Internet. In
Special interest publishing division was launched.
- 25,42,700 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- An Industrial source book called `Search' was launched in the
corporate sector January. Touchstone division launched `Have Fun'
series of childrens books which received an enthusiastic response
both children and parents.
- Tata Donnelley Ltd (TDL) has launched Search, a monthly journal of
industrial information. The book has been launched by the Special
Interest Publication Division of TDL.
- TDL entered the information service business in 1991 with the
publication of the Yellow Pages directory for Mumbai.
- Tata Donnelley is the country's largest general commercial
press. Apart from the popular Tata Yellow Pages Directory, the
prints annual reports, magazines and publicity material.
- Tata Donnelley has introduced the Touchstone range of office
stationery items, which is likely to yield higher margins. It has
launched magazines produced and published inhouse, which would
the earnings stream.
- Tata Donnelley is organizing Asia's largest photographic and
exhibition-Photo Asia 99 in one of the most rapidly growing
markets in the world - India.
- TD is a joint venture between the Tata group and the US$ 6 billion
R. Donnelley & Sons Co (both have 26% equity stake each).
- TD has recently set up a separate division to bring out magazines
catering to hobbies/niche markets. It has also published a number
books for children under the age of 10 years. With the information
latest industrial products and services as its main focus, a new
magazine called SEARCH was launched in January `99.
- The Company launched the first edition of the better photography
Black Book 2000.
- Tata Donnelley Ltd, the printing and publishing company of the
Group, is entering manufacture of information products.
- The Company to convert its yellow pages on the Internet -
www.typoline.com - into a separate profit centre.
- During the year, the Special Inerest Publications Division
the Better Photography Black Book, a compilation of top-class
photographs by top Indian photographers.
- BRIGHTSPARKS, the Children's Books Division of the Company has
published 34 titles. These books have had a successful launch in
market and accelerated growth is anticipated in the coming years.
- TOUCHSTONE, the Company's branded range of diaries and related
stationery also had a successful year with impressive growth in
turnover and bottomline.
- The Company introduced a VRS scheme at its Prabhadevi Plant.
- As a result of the change in shareholding, the Company proposes to
change its name to Tata Infomedia Ltd.
- Consequent to the change in shareholding Mr. James Mauck, Ms.
Forhman and Mr. Bijesh Thakker have resigned as Directors of the
- During the year, the Company has entered into agreements with the
National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) and the Central
Depository Services (India) Limited (CDSL).
- Issued and subscribed 76,28,100 No. of Equity Shares of Rs. 10
fully paid up
- 1,48,000 No. of Equity Shares of Rs. 10 each are issued as fully
up pursuant to a contract without payment having been received in
- 4,70,000 No. of Equity Shares of Rs. 10 each are issued as fully
up bonus shares by capitalisation of general reserve.
- 25,42,700 No. of Equity Shares of Rs. 10 each were issued as fully
paid up bonus shares by capitalisation of share premium account.
- The Company has launched the first edition of Khana Pina -- an
information guide on restaurants across Mumbai.
-Announces its first project in Hindi motion picture production. The
film titled Aitbaar directed by Vikram Bhatt and with music by Rajesh
Roshan stars Amitabh Bachchan, Bipasha Basu and John Abraham
-Trading symbol of the company on NSE changed from 'TATAPRESS ' to
'TATAINFO' w.e.f September 17, 2003
-Arranged an exhibition called AV Expo 2003 for the first time in
-ICICI Ventures has decided to acquire the Tata Group's 50.34% stake
constituting 5.7 lakh shares in Tata Infomedia Limited.
-Mr. M Shankar Narayanan has been appointed as a Non-executive
Director on the Board of Directors of the Company with immediate
effect. Mr. M Shanka Narayanan has been appointed as a nominee of
-Ms. Denny Thomas - Company Secretary, has been designated as the
Compliance Officer of the Company. The said change is because of the
resignation of Ms. Sree Vidya Raju from the services of the Company.
-The company has sold its entire holding of 10,96,650 fully paid up
equity shares of Rs 10/- each in Titan Industries Ltd to the Vendors
and their nominees for a total consideration of Rs 151 million.
-Acquirers have completed the purchase of 57,19,927 equity shares of
Rs. 10/- representing 49.99% of the total issued and paid up capital
of the company from the Vendors.
-Share Purchase Agreement dated September 01,2003,entered into
between ICICI epayments Limited ('Acquirers' as per the said
agreement) and Tata Sons & Other Tata Companies ('Vendors' as per the
said agreement),the Company has sold its entire holding of 19,90,000
fully paid up Equity Shares of Rs.10/- each of Vantech Investments
Limited to some of the vendor Companies for a total consideration of
-ICICI ePayments Ltd. has informed that they have acquired 8008357
shares amounting to 69.99% of the total paid up capital of Tata
-Mr. K M Mistry and Mr. Ishaat Hussain have resigned from the Board
of the Company.
- Ms. Renuka Ramnath and Mr. P. M. Devaiah have been appointed as
Non-executive Directors, being nominees of ICICI ePayments Limited,
on the Board of Directors of our Company with immediate effect.
-Ms. Renuka Ramnath and Mr. P. M. Devaiah appointed as Non-executive
Directors, being nominees of ICICI ePayments Limited
-Tata Infomedia Ltd has informed that Mr. N D Khurody, Mr. Cyrus
Guzder and Mr. Pradip Shah have resigned from the Board of Directors
of the Company.
-Tata Infomedia Ltd has informed that at the Board Meeting of the
Company held on January 29, 2004, Ms. Renuka Ramnath has been
appointed as the Chairman of the BoD.
-Tata Infomedia Ltd has informed that at the EGM held on January 29,
2004 the Shareholders of the company have approved the Special
Resolution for Change of Name of the company from Tata Infomedia Ltd
to 'Infomedia India Ltd'.
-Infomedia gets 8 print FDI offers
-Infomedia unveils yellow pages in Chennai
-Infomedia India signs MOU for sale of Company's property
-Infomedia India signs agreement with Ringier Trade Publishing, Hong
-Infomedia India Ltd has appointed Mr. Vijay Kumar as Additional
Director of the Company.
-Infomedia India Ltd has informed that the name of the Company has
been changed from Infomedia India Ltd to Infomedia 18 Ltd.
-Infomedia Press Ltd Issues Rights in the Ratio of 3:2
-Registered Office of the Company has been shifted To 503, 504 & 507,
5th Floor, Mercantile House, 15 Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi -
-Company has changed its name from Infomedia 18 Ltd. to Infomedia