1888 - Sunlight soap introduced in India.
1895 - Lifebuoy soap launched; Lever Brothers appoints agents in
Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, and Karachi.
1902 -Pears soap introduced in India.
1903 - Brooke Bond Red Label tea launched.
1905 - Lux flakes introduced.
1913 -Vim scouring powder introduced.
1914 - Vinolia soap launched in India.
1918 - Vanaspati introduced by Dutch margarine manufacturers like Van
den Berghs, Jurgens, Verschure Creameries, and Hartogs.
1922 - Rinso soap powder introduced.
1924 - Gibbs dental preparations launched.
1925 - Lever Brothers gets full control of North West Soap Company.
1926 - Hartogs registers Dalda Trademark.
1930 - Unilever is formed on January 1 through merger of Lever
Brothers and Margarine Unie.
1888, less than four years after William Hesketh Lever launched
Sunlight Soap in England, his newly-founded company, Lever Brothers,
started exporting the revolutionary laundry soap to India. By the
time the company merged with the Netherlands-based Margarine Unie in
form Unilever, it had already carved a niche for itself in the Indian
market. Coincidentally, Margarine Unie also had a strong presence in
India, to which it exported Vanaspati (hydrogenated edible fat).
1931 - ndustan Vanaspati Manufacturing Company registered on November
27; Sewri factory site bought.
1932 - Vanaspati manufacture starts at Sewri.
- Incorporated on 17th October, under the name of a Lever Brothers
(India) Pvt., Ltd. (LBIL) was the wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever
Ltd. London, UK.
- 1933 Lever Brothers India Limited (LBIL) incorporated in India to
1934 - Soap manufacture begins at Sewri factory in October; North
West Soap Company's Garden Reach Factory, Kolkata rented and expanded
to produce Lever brands.
- On 11th May a subsidiary Co. was incorporated under the name United
Traders Pvt. Ltd. for marketing the products of the Co. or imported
from the parent Co.
1937- Mr. Prakash Tandon, one of the first Indian covenanted
managers, joins HVM.
1939 - Garden Reach Factory purchased outright; concentration on
building up Dalda Vanaspati as a brand.
1941 - Agencies in Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Karachi taken over;
company acquires own sales force.
1942 - Unilever takes firm decision to train Indians to take over
junior and senior management positions instead of Europeans.
1943 - Personal Products manufacture begins in India at Garden Reach
1944 - Reorganisation of the three companies with common management
but separate marketing operations.
1947 - Pond's Cold Cream launched.
1951 - Mr. Prakash Tandon becomes first Indian Director. Shamnagar,
Tiruchy, and Ghaziabad Vanaspati factories bought.
1955 - 65% of managers are Indians.
- On 27th October, the Co. was converted into a Public Ltd. Co.
- On 1st November, Hindustan Vanaspati Mfg. Co. Pvt. Ltd., William
Gossage & Sons (India) Pvt. Ltd. and Joseph Crosfield & Sons Unilever
Ltd. were amalgamated with LBIL and the name was changed to Hindustan
Lever Ltd. From 23rd october onwards activities of subsidiary Co.
were taken over by its holding Co.
- On 17th November Unilever Ltd. Offered to the public 557,000 No. of
equity shares of Rs.10 each.
1957 - Unilever Special Committee approves research activity by
1958 - Research Unit starts functioning at Mumbai Factory.
1959 - Surf launched.
1961- Mr. Prakash Tandon takes over as the first Indian Chairman;
191 of the 205 managers are Indians.
1962 - Formal Exports Department starts.
1963 - Head Office building at Backbay Reclamation, Mumbai, opened.
1964 - Etah dairy set up, Anik ghee launched; Animal feeds plant at
Ghaziabad; Sunsilk shampoo launched.
1965 - Signal toothpaste launched; Indian shareholding increases to
1966 - Lever's baby food, more new foods introduced; Nickel catalyst
production begins; Indian shareholding increases to 15%. Statutory
price control on Vanaspati; Taj Mahal tea launched.
1967 - Hindustan Unilever Research Centre, opens in Mumbai.
1968 - Mr. V. G. Rajadhyaksha takes over as Chairman from Mr. Prakash
Tandon; Fine Chemicals Unit commissioned at Andheri; informal price
control on soap begins.
1969 - Rin bar launched; Fine Chemicals Unit starts production; Bru
1971 - Mr. V. G. Rajadhyaksha presents plan for diversification into
chemicals to Unilever Special Committee - plan approved; Clinic
1973 - Mr. T. Thomas takes over as Chairman from Mr. V. G.
1974 - Pilot plant for industrial chemicals at Taloja; informal price
control on soaps withdrawn; Liril marketed.
1975 - Ten-year modernisation plan for soaps and detergent plants;
Jammu project work begins; statutory price control on Vanaspati and
baby foods withdrawn; Close-up toothpaste launched.
1976 - Construction work of Haldia chemicals complex begins; Taloja
chemicals unit begins functioning.
- On February synthetic detergents plant in Jammu was commissioned.
Plant for manufacture of linalool from betapinere, pheneyl ethyl
alcohol and eaters commissioned at Jammu.
1978 - Indian shareholding increases to 34%; Fair & Lovely skin cream
- In October, the company set up a new industrial undertaking at
Haldia for the manufacture of sodium tri-polyphosphate, phosphoric
acid and sulphuric acid.
- In order to reduce the non-resident holding in the Co. to 51%,
Uniliver Ltd. offered for sale during Feb. out of its shareholding in
the Co. 4239523 No. of equity shares of Rs.10 each at a premium of
Rs.9.50 per share in the following manner;
- i) 10,00,000 shares to public financial institutions.
- ii) 25,12,702 shares to the existing resident Indian shareholders
on a pro-rata basis in the ratio of 1:4.
- iii) 726,821 shares to employees and Indian directors.
1982 - Government allows 51% Unilever shareholding.
- A new plant for synthetic detergents in Chindwara district of M.P
commissioned Co. took on lease a detergent and toilet soap factory at
the request of Punjab govt. owned by a joint sector Co. Stephans
- A new fine chemical unit was commissioned.
- As consideration, Indian shareholders of HL Ltd. were offered
62,20,576 No. of equity shares of Rs.10 each of Lipton India Ltd., at
par in proportion of 2:8. ie 2 Lipt:8 HL equity.
1984 - Foods, Animal Feeds businesses transferred to Lipton.
- A project for the manufacture of 500 tonnes per day of diammonium
phosphate was commissioned.
- Lux toilet soap was launched.
- Agri-products unit at Hyderabad starts functioning - first range of
hybrid seeds comes out; Khamgaon Soaps unit and Yavatmal Personal
Products unit start production.
Lifebouy Personal and Breez soaps launched.
- Company in collaboration with National Starch Corporation USA,
undertook to set up a new facility at pondicherry for the manufacture
of functionalised biopolymers.
- The Co. took on lease cum purchase basis the detergents
undertakings of Union Home Products Ltd. Mangalore.
- Synthetic Detergent plant at Sumerpur in UP & Tiolet soap plant in
Orai in UP were commissioned.
- Cracking catalyst plant at Haldia commissioned.
- Vegetable oil plant commissioned at Kandla free trade zone.
- Seed and Tissue culture projects commissioned at Hyderabad.
- Company proposed to set up a 17,000 tpa. film sulphonation plant at
Taloja to manufacture a range of detergent actives.
- Company signed a collaboration and 100% buy back agreement with
Sawyer of Napa, California, USA to produce wool-on-leather garment
and wool-on-leather products.
- Commissioned a plant for manufacture of 10,000 tonnes per annum of
toilet preparations at Pondicherry.
- Entered in dental product market by introducing Pepsodent,
Mentadent G etc.
- A factory to manufacture leather garments and other leather based
products including wool-on-leather garments and wool-on-leather was
set up in Chennai.
- The Company undertook to set up a large scale acquaculture centre
at Tanjavur in Tamil Nadu for farming and processing catfish for the
U.S. markets in technical collaboration with FFDA, Florida, USA who
also provide a full buy-back guarantee.
- Temporary shut down of Haldia Plant due to duty free import of DAP.
Entered skin product market by introducing fair & lovely. Also
entered hair care product by introducing sunsilk salon treatment &
clinic super gel. Close-up confident toothbrush also introduced on
the same year.
- During the year Company entered into joint selling agreement with
Ponds India Ltd. for distributing their products.
- Company set up rice millong facilities in the free trade zone of
- Company obtained all permissions and approvals for acquiring 80% of
the equity capital of Nepal Lever Ltd. The company was also taking
steps to set up an effective distribution system in Nepal to
distribute and market the products of the Co.
- Tata Oil Mills Co. Ltd. (TOMCO) was merged with Hindustan Lever Ltd
with effect from 1st April. As per the scheme of amalgamation,
shareholders of TOMCO were allotted without Payment in cash 2 equity
shares of Rs.10 each of HL for 15 equity shares of Rs.10 each held
TOMCO. After the amalgamation Unilever PLC London were allotted on a
preferencial basis 29,84,347 equity shares of Rs.10 each at a
premimium of Rs.95 per share for maintain their share holding at 51%
in the Co.
-1993 HLL's largest competitor, Tata Oil Mills Company (TOMCO),
merges with the company - Erstwhile Brooke Bond India acquires Kissan
Business from the UB Group and Dollops icecream business from Cadbury
- Doom Dooma and Tea Estates Plantation divisions merged with Brooke
Bond - Brooke Bond and erstwhile Lipton India merge to form Brooke
Bond Lipton India Limited 1994 HLL and US-based Kimberley-Clark
50:50 joint venture, Kimberley-Clark Lever Ltd.
- Company entered male toiletries segment with the launch of Denim
after shave & Ean Dee Toilette.
- Co. set up Hot Melt Adhesive manufacturing facilities at Taloja.
And also entered SSP business and trading.
- Wool-on-leather and wool-on-garment plant was commissioned.
- The Company entered into joint venture agreement with
Kimberly-Clark Corporation, USA to promote a joint company
`Kimberly-Clark Lever Ltd.' with 50% equity participation by the
- In technical collaboration with Shinto Corporation, a subsidiary of
Toya Suisan, Japan, the Co. undertook to set up a Surimi (Fish Paste)
project at an initial cost of Rs.15 crores near Veraval in Gujarat
State. The collaborators provided 100% buy-back guarantee for the
output of this unit which seeks to upgrade the hitherto wasted
fishery resources of the country. The plant was commissioned in the
- The Company entered into joint venture agreement with Lakme Lever
Ltd. to undertake the manufacturing and distribution of colour
cosmetics and other personal care products.
- The Company also entered into an agreement with S C Johnson & Son
USA, for manufacture and sales of insecticides such as insect
repellents, disinfectants and similar products in India.
- The Company received the President's Award for Outstanding
performance in Agri Commodities for the year 1994-95.
- 1995 HLL and Indian cosmetics major, Lakme Ltd, form 50:50 joint
venture, Lakme Lever Ltd. HLL acquires Kwality and Milkfood 100%
brandnames and distribution assets.
- HLL and US-based S.C. Johnson & Son Inc. form 50:50 joint venture,
Lever Johnson (Consumer Products) Pvt. Ltd.HLL Soaps and Detergent
sales cross one million tonnes.
- Brooke Bond India Ltd. was amalgamated with the Company. As per
the scheme of amlgamation, the Company allotted 533,28,713 equity
shares to the share holders of Brooke Bond India Ltd. in the
proportion 9 shares of the company for 20 shares held in Brooke Bond
- The Company entered into joint venture S C Johnson & Son USA. The
Joint Venture named Lever Johnson Consumer products Pvt. Ltd.
- Company received the Solvent Extractors' Association Award for
being the highest exporter of Rice Bran Extractions during 1996-97.
- The Far Eastern Economic Review, Hong Kong, has adjudged HLL the
Best Indian company in its Review 200: Asia's Leading Companies
- The Directors of Hindustan Lever Limited at their meeting held on
16th March, considered and approved the proposal for amalgamation of
Ponds India Limited with Hindustan Lever Limited. HLL's tea business
is among the biggest in the world.
- The Department of Agriculture and co-operation under the ministry
of agriculture has directed Lever Johnson (Consumer Products) Ltd., a
subsidiary of Hindustan Lever Limited, and Icon Household Products
Pvt. Ltd. to withdraw from the market, the mosquito mat repellent
Domex on charges of having grossly violated the conditions of
- HLL has also taken several initiatives in raising awareness of oral
care and hygiene in India. One of these programmes is the free dental
check-up programme, which is conducted in collaboration with the
Indian Dental Association.
- In India, the only company in the poultry business that is selling
chicken meat is Venkateshwara Hatcheries (VHL). VHL sells its
products under the brand name Venky's which is currently sold in only
major cities, Hindustan Lever is presently working on the feasibility
of the poultry business.
- Unilever set up the Hindustan Vanaspati Manufacturing Company, its
first subsidiary in India, and established two more subsidiaries,
lever Brothers India Ltd. and United Traders Ltd.
- The managements of Pond's (India) Limited and Hindustan Lever
Limited have decided to propose the amalgamation of PIL with HLL.
Both the companies are subsidiaries of Unilever Plc, which holds 51
per cent equity in each.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL) has signed the Fuel Supply Agreement
(FSA) with public sector Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) for the entire
fuel and lubricant requirements of its manufacturing unit in Orai.
This the first time that two giants, one from public sector and other
private sector, have joined hands as partners in progress, and also
augurs future partnerships between IOC and HLL.
- IOC's northern region general manager (sales) I H Hashmi and R K
Mutreja from HLL signed FSA for five years supply of HSD (petrol),
furnace oil and lubes to the tune of 555 kilo litre per month.
- Hindustan Lever is the largest manufacturer of Lifebuoy, Lux,
Breeze, Rexona and Haman in the country, under a division christened
the personal products division.
- The managements of Pond's (India) (PIL) and HLL have decided to
propose the amalgamation of PIL with HLL. They are subsidiaries of
Unilever, UK, which holds 51 per cent equity in both.
- HLL also proposes to acquire from Lakme the latter's 50 per cent
share holding in the 50:50 joint venture company, Lakme Lever, the
Lakme trademark from Lakme's wholly-owned subsidiary, Lakme Brands,
and lakme's manufacturing undertakings at Deonar and Kandla (the
latter owned by Lakme Exports). HLL is setting up a Max Club for
- Hindustan Lever Ltd and Nicholas Piramal India Ltd have received
the QAD rapid Achiever Award at its first ever Asia Pacific Explore
`98 user conference held in Bangkok.
- HLL has signed a memorandum of understanding with Tata Housing
Development Company for developing some of its properties into
residential and commercial complexes.
- In the scheme of amalgamation to the planned merger, the company
has stated that about 8.8 per cent of the issue, subscribed and
paid-up capital of the transferor company (Pond's) will stand
cancelled. HLL has 13,25,954 shares of Pond's India.
- HLL had bought eight lakh shares of BBLIL from UTI two weeks prior
to the announcement of the merger at a price of Rs. 350 per share on
March 25, 1996.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd has awarded a country wide project of payroll
management to Calcutta-based Vedika Software (P) Ltd.
- HLL has a world-class information technology infrastructure to
enable the businesses to respond faster and perform better.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL) has entered into job work arrangements
with some bought leaf tea factories in the Nilgiris.
- The Tatas have joined hands with Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL) in
Kerala to set up a Rs.686 crore hospitality, housing and
infrastructure project. The project proposes to construct a five
star hotel complex, technology park, world trade centre, business and
shopping mall and housing complexes at Tatapuram in the heart of
Kochi city covering an area of 35 acres.
- HLL has signed a memorandum of understanding with Swastic Vanaspati
of Biratnagar, Nepal, for the supply of hydrogenated oil under its own
- Hindustan Lever to buy out Kwality's ice-cream plants; agreement to
be signed soon Hindustan Lever Limited (HLL) has suffered twin
setbacks in its plans of selling Kwality Ice creams nationwide.
- The board of directors of Tasty Bite Eatables has issued 59,530 non
convertible preference shares of Rs.100 each at a premium of Rs.1,950
per share to Hindustan Lever on private placement basis. The
preference share will carry a coupon of 1 per cent for a tenure of
years, said a notice issued to the Mumbai Stock Exchange.
- HLL has entered into an agreement with Johnson & Johnson for using
the trademark Savlon for its soap products. The agreement was
entered into eight months back and concerns only soaps.
- HLL has also entered into joint ventures to introduce products that
are not in Unilever's global portfolio. These include joint ventures
with Kimberly Clark and SC. Johnson for personal hygiene and
households care respectively.
- HLL was one of the first companies to join the National Securities
Depository (NSDL) to encourage its shareholders to avail themselves
of its benefits.
- Hindustan Lever Limited's Bangalore factory has received National
Productivity Award for the fourth year in a row from National
Productivity Council. The factor has also received ISO 9002
- 1998 Group company, Pond's India Ltd, merges with HLL. HLL acquires
Lakme brand, factories and Lakme Ltd's 50% equity in Lakme Lever Ltd.
HLL acquires manufacturing rights of Kwality icecream. Appellate
Authority of Government of India absolves HLL of insider trading
charges, made by SEBI in 1997, in the BBLIL merger.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL), has joined hands with the Institute for
Social and Economic Change (Isec) for a rural development programme
- Hindustan lever Ltd, has decided to merge its subsidiary Industrial
Perfumes Ltd with the company. The merger would be effective from
- The company holds 1,27,497 shares of Rs. 100 each. Industrial
Perfumes manufacturers aroma chemicals such as deodorant and
perfumes. According to the company as per the scheme of amalgamation
for every five equity shares of Rs 10 each of Industrial Perfumes two
shares of HLL will be given.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd is selling its Rs 80-crore dairy business to
Nutricia International BV, part of the .7bn Dutch dairy products
giant Koninklijke (Royal) Numico NV Group, for a yet undisclosed sum.
A memorandum to this effect was signed a few days ago.
- Consumer Giant Hindsutan Lever Limited (HLL) has converted a part
of its debt, which otherwise would have been non-realisable from
Tasty Bite Eatables Ltd, into non-cumulative, non-convertible
redeemable preference shares carrying an interest rate of 1 per
- Hindustan Lever Limited (HLL) has decided to dispose of its dairy
business to Nutricia (India) Pvt Ltd and spin off its animal and
poultry feeds into a separate subsidiary.
- Industrial Perfumes Limited is to amalgamate with Hindustan Lever
Limited (HLL) and under the scheme HLL is to issue at par and allot
two equity shares of Rs 10 each to the shareholders of Industrial
performes for every five shares held by them in that company.
- Hindustan Lever holds about 51 per cent of the issued, subscribed
and paid-up capital of Industrial Perfumes Limited and the shares, if
any held by HLL and its subsidiary companies as on the record date in
Industrial perfumes shall be concelled.
- The Company will be the largest e-tailer in the next two years.
- The company has entered into a five-year wet lease agreement with
the Hyderabad-based Premier Explosives (PEL) to operate the latter's
mushroom farms near Hyderabad.
- The Company has launched a `ready to drink' (RTD) tea brand Lipton
Ice Tea in Hyderabad with lemon and mango flavours.
- The Company has launched a new brand of toopaste -- Aim.
- The Company has unveiled the country's first liquid detergent for
daily washing needs Surf Excel Liquid detergent in the Indian Market.
- The Company launched the International Lux Skincare range,
- 2000 HLL acquires Modern Foods, the first public sector company to
be divested by the
Government of India
- The Coompany has launched Surf Excell Liquid Detergent, for daily
washing of clothes.
- HLL markets more than 110 brands, in 950 packs. the products are
sold in one million retail outlets, directly covering India's entire
urban population and about 50,000 villages.
- The Company has launched a cooking medium New Dalda Activ.
- FMCG major Hindustan Lever Ltd, aiming to strengthen its foods
business, has received a boost in this endeavour with its parent
Unilever acquiring the US-based food company Bestfoods.
- The Aviance, the international range of beauty solutions by the
Hindustan Lever Ltd. has launched a hair care range comprising four
shampoos and two conditioners.
- The Company has chalked out its expansion plans in tea through
acquisitions, greenfield ventures and a five-year plan entailing
modernisation, uprooting and research.
- Hindustan Lever's aggressive brand introduction spree in deodorants
a nascent Rs 75 crore market seems to be growth by categorisation.
- The Company has been ranked among the top 15 emerging market
companies worldwide. HLL is the only Indian Company, and also the
only food and household products firm to figure in the list.
- The Company has offered two alternatives a voluntary retirement
scheme and termination of services to executives of Rossell
- The Company has relaunched Close-Up as Super Fresh Close-Up with an
added attribute of containing an anti-bacterial agent along with an
existent mouth wash.
- The Company mount a series of aggressive initiatives this year to
shore up the performance of its ice cream business.
- The Company has tied-up with a growing corporate services agency,
Les Conclerges, to make itself a one-stop convenience shop by
entering the home services sector.
- The Company has acquired four factories from Amalgam Foods Ltd. on
a wet lease to carry out the processing of marine products.
- The Company for the second year running, has been rated among the
world's 100 best-managed companies.
- HLL has introduced ColourFast Slims, a new range on lipsticks under
its Aviance Beauty Solutions brand.
- The Company has launched the Lux Body Wash along with a Lux loofah
in Karnataka. This is the first mass-appeal body wash to be launched
under the brandname Lux.
- Hindustan Lever and Elizabeth Arden, launched Elizabeth Arden,
Unilever's Prestigious cosmetics and fragrance brand, in India.
- The Company has set up 12 counters across the country to carry out
exchange of share certificates for new certificates of Re 1 face
- Kwality Wall's, a division of Hindustan Lever Ltd., has launched
softy ice cream and has positioned it as a mass market product and
Head of the ice cream business.
- FMCG major Hindustan Lever Ltd will mark its entry into the softy
ice cream segment by setting up softy kiosks in all major metros
starting with Chennai.
- The Company has relaunched its tea brand, Brooke Bond Red Label,
with Assam Super Tasters.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd. has proposed to make an open offer for a 24
per cent stake held by local shareholders in International Bestfoods
Ltd., which is now a subsidiary of parent Unilever.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd's Pepsodent toothpaste has introduced games at
- The Company has introduced New Hi-Power Vim Bar with enhanced
grease cutting power and lime juice.
- The Company has entered into an in-principle agreement of Dheeraj
Kumars Creative eye for buying out Indian satellite rights of the
mega-television serial Om Namah Shivay in Hindi.
- The Company has launched Aim toothbrush in South India.
- The Company has launched an innovative scheme with gold coins
embedded in tablets of its Lux brand of soap.
- The Company has launched the new Nutririch Fair & Lovely fairness
- HLL has entered into an agreement with FFI Fragrances to continue
importing and distributing the globally renowned prestige brand -
Elizabeth Arden - for the next six ti twelve months.
- Shampoo brand `Clinic All Clear' on the Net, Hindustan Lever has
launched a host of Web Promotions on popular Websites which include,
Rediff.com, Sify.com, Indya.com, Uthplanet.com, Hungama.com and
- Hindustan Lever and International BestFoods are formalising an
agreement under which HLL will sell and distribue IBL products with
effect from January 1.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL) has launched Clinic Plus Protein Shampoo
with a new formulation that contains a Protein Health Complex.
- Hindustan Lever has launched after-shave lotions from its Calvin
Klein brand of fragrances -- Obsession, Etermotu amd Escape.
- The Company's Nihar, a brand of double-filtered coconut oil, has
changed packaging and logo.
- HLL has over 36,000 employees, and has created 2 lakh indirect
jobs. Its operations are spread across 70 locations in India. There
are over 50 factories, of which 28 are in backward areas. The
operations involve 2000 suppliers and aassociates and 7000 stockists
and agents. HLL has emerged as a major Exporter.
- Hindustan Lever has entered into a strategic tie-up with the Nasdaq
listed iVillage Inc reported for the year ending December 1999,
operator of iVillage.com to set up a women portal for the Indian
- HLL has launched the New Pears Oil Clear bathing bar.
- The Company is launching a new Website called Castorworld.com -- a
b-2-b e-commerce project for Castor.
- Joint Ventures are being formed for two of its non-FMCG businesses
to protect their value - one with Godrej Agrovet for our AFS business
and another with the ICI group for our Fragrance/Flavours division.
- Hindustan Lever has chalked out a turn-around strategy for its
ailing ice cream business.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd. has organised a mobile van promotion called
`Dare to Wear Black Mania' in order to promote Clinic All Clear, its
- Hindustan Lever Ltd is hiving off its existing business of
fragrances, flavours and food ingredients into a separate joint
venture, Quest International India, in which paints major ICI India
will hold a majority stake.
- HLL has launched the new Fair & Lovely Fairness Soap -- which will
help make the skin fairer, safely and gently.
- Hindustan Lever's, Pond's Magic DeoTalc, has been launched with a
new enhanced deodorant protection.
- International Bestfoods Ltd. has become a subsidiary of Hindustan
Lever Ltd with effect from 22nd April.
- Hindustan Lever has entered into a joint venture with Godrej Agrove
t a subsidiary of Godrej Soaps.
- An agreement has been entered into with the ICI Group, for a Joint
Venture for the Quest division of the Flavours and Fragrances
- The Company has launched International Rexona 24 HR Intensive, in
- The Company has launched Pond's Light n' Fresh talc.
- The Company has launched the new Lakme Sunscreen Lotion with
ultraviolet rays guard and Alpine Mint.
- The shareholders of Hindustan Lever have approved a proposal to
merge International Bestfoods and Aviance with HLL.
- Hindustan Lever Ltd’s factory at Garden Reach near Kolkata faces a
one-day strike in July,the reason being to press their demands for
- Hindustan Lever will be closing its thermometer mercury factory at
Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu.
- Hindustan Lever has commissioned a detergent and a tea factory in
Silvassa, taking its total number of new factories to seven in the
- MRTPC has dismissed a complaint filed against Hindustan Lever for
allegedly increasing prices of its products Glucon-D and Nycil.
- In October 2000 HLL acting in concert with Unilever made an open
tender offer for the remaining 24.62%of the IBL equity at price Rs
173.00 per share.
- The Board of Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL) had approved the transfer of
its undertaking engaged in seeds business to its subsidiary Paras
Extra Growth Seeds Ltd.
- International Bestfoods Limited (IBL) has become asubsidary of
Hindustan Lever w.e.f April 21,2001. The Board of IBL has already
approved the transfer of 75.38% of the equity of IBL earlierheld by
Best Foods USA in favour of HLL.
- The company has signed an agreement with ICI India, a subsidiary of
ICI plc, UK, for sale of Nickel Catalyst business and Adhesives
business, a sub-unit of Specialty Chemicals Division of the company's
Chemicals and Agri operations for a consideration of Rs.21 crore and
9 crores respectively.
-S Ramadorai appointed as Non-executive Director on the Board of
-Opto Circuits enters into an agreement with HLL to buy the business
line of Digital Thermometers.
-The Lever Gist Brocades, a 50:50 joint venture of Hindustan Lever
(HLL) and DSM of The Netherlands, was sold to Burns Philp India, the
local arm of the Australia-based food conglomerate Burns Philp.
- Company's branded salt Annapurna launched in Africa
- Project Shakti, a rural marketing initiative, brings HLL 20% rise
in rural consumption
- Signs Joint Venture with India Seeds Holdings Ltd., a company
incorporated in Mauritius engaged in the seed and biotechnology
industry, for transfer of its seeds business undertaking
Paras Extra Growth Seeds Ltd. (PEGSL) for a consideration of Rs 115
- Comes out from the premium (prestige) fragrances segment by
stopping distribution of Calvin Klein in the country
- Enters into ayurvedic healthcare market by releasing their Lever
Ayush ayurvedic health and beauty care products
-Enters into sourcing agreement with Unilever Australia and Unilever
US for supplying tea bags
- Lever Gist Brocades, a 50:50 joint venture of Hindustan Lever (HLL)
and DSM of The Netherlands, was sold to Burns Philp India, the local
arm of the Australia-based food conglomerate Burns Philp
- HLL's ice-cream business makes profit for the first time in its
- Shareholders approve bonus debentures issue
- Forays into snack foods market under the Knorr Annapurna brand
- Stops the production of two of its variants under the Sunsilk
shampoo range - Bouncy Volume and Ceramide Plus
- Ties up with Madhya Pradesh government for achieving all-round
growth through empowerment of rural people and launches 'Vindhya
Valley' umbrella brand for food products
- Relaunches Deluxe Green Label with a better and stronger aroma in
the four southern states to consolidate its position as a leading
filter coffee brand
- Acquires remaining 26% stake in Modern Foods for Rs 44.07cr
- The company chosen as the most preferred company on campus
- Hindustan Lever, Kochi wins commendation certificates for energy
conservation from the State-level Monitoring Committee for Energy
Conservation for year 2002
- Ties up with Pepsi for distribution, signs a memorandum of
understanding with Pepsi, to leverage each other’s strengths in
distribution. The agreement provides Pepsi access to the HLL’s
- Unveils New Rin Supreme Bar with 'Pure Clean' technology
- Relaunches kids ice-cream with 4 new products, Mango Tango,
Rainbow, Twister and Super Twister, priced between Rs 7 and Rs 15
- Acquires the seafoods business of the south-based Amalgam group
- Sells GLUCOVITA,, a brand in the glucose powder market, to Wipro
- Unilever hands over global marketing of Pears to HLL
- Patents a new technology called 'alphos' for manufacturing soap,
which will allow the company to manufacture the same quality of soap
at low prices
- Forays into conventional biscuits market by launching a traditional
glucose biscuit under its acquired bakery brand Modern
- Relaunches Surf Excel as a low-foam detergent to target markets
facing severe water crisis
- Offloads carpets business for Rs 1 crore
- Infuses over Rs 80 crore to scale up its holding in subsidiaries
- Sets up a Ayurvedic science centre - Ayush Therapy Centre - to
provide a platform for scientific enquiry of Ayurveda and
dissemination of this knowledge through collaborations with leading
national and international scientific, Ayurvedic and medical experts
- Floats centralised shared services centre
- Places 88,000 WLL connections order with Reliance
- Begins supplying Unilever's tea bags
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) forges alliance with
Hindustan Lever (HLL) to sell their goods along with the LPG
cylinders which will allow the sale of durables and FMCG products
- Unites Knorr, Annapurna brands under one roof in the name Knorr
- Floats a 100 per cent business process outsourcing (BPO) subsidiary
named 'Christened Indigo'. christened Indigo is divided in to two
divisions, one for domestic market and other for international
-HLL's advertisements reappear on Zee TV after nearly a gap of one
-- The company has tied up with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd for
selling grocery items to LPG customers through BPCL`s distributor
network. the consumers can order all HLL products from Bharatgas
distributors in select cities.
-Introduced two new variants of Pepsodent toothpaste, Regular Fresh
Flavour and White Family Flavour. The company has also launched a 20
gm pack priced at Rs 5.
-Unveiled Lifebuoy, which is priced at Rs 2 at the retail level
-Entered into an agreement with Beeyu Overseas Ltd (BOL) which
agreed to market coffee in Poland
-HLL extended its Knorr Annapurna range into soup powders at Rs 5.
Sporting flavours such as Tomato Tease, Spicy Vegetable, Chicken
Punch and Peppery Chicken
-The company has extended its Modern brand of bread and cakes to
-The companty has introduced a new mango drink 'Mr Fruit'.
-HLL unveils Unnati Scheme
-Relaunches Rin Shakti Powder and Rin Shakti Bar
-Mr. Harish Manwani appointed president, home and personal care,
North America , a business worth 5bn euros in sales turnover for '02
-HLL unveils new festival package for its coffee brands
-HLL unveils new schemes to lure customers in Tamil Nadu
-HLL launches mega project on experimental basis in Mumbai
-HLL creates 'Power in Power'
-Gets award for industrial safety by National Safety Council, Kerala
Chapter in chemical industries sector in medium size industries
-Hindustan Lever Ltd tied up with the private sector power utility,
CESC Ltd, for sampling of Pepsodent toothpaste. `Touchbase with
Kolkata' project said that with its April bills CESC would be sending
out 14.1 lakh covers carrying the Pepsodent label and a small 15 gm
tube of toothpaste with a new flavour.
-HLL to ink MoU with Pepsi
- HLL sets up new Ayush centre in Mumbai
-HLL forays into water biz, rolls out Pure It to purify water
-Hindustan Lever Ltd has introduced its new active Gel Close Up in
-Hindustan Lever launches `Perfect Radiance', range of 12 premium
skincare products under brand name Fair & Lovely on May 26, 2004
-Hindustan Lever, Ernakulam, has won the State Pollution Control
- Hindustan Lever Ltd launches Domex Thick, a disinfectant cleaner,
in Kerala, priced at Rs 22 for 500 ml.
-HLL unveils 2 imported products under Lakme brand
-HLL enters into kids' personal care market
-Unilever, the parent company of Hindustan Lever and one of the
world's largest consumer products companies, has set up a global
sourcing arm, that will have a large presence in India to buy
products and raw materials from low-cost locations for its
subsidiaries across the world
-HLL sells Kissan factory premises in Bangalore for Rs 60 cr
-HLL's Modern Food unveils diet bread
-Launches Dove Ultra Moisturizing Body Wash
-HLL inks pact with Pepsi in beverage segment
-HLL introduce iced tea in glass bottles
- Unilever Overseas Holdings BV (UOHBV), the Netherlands based wholly
owned subsidiary of Unilever PLC divests 37,00,000 equity shares Rs
10/- each of Rossell Industries Ltd (RIL) in favour of M/s M K Shah
Exports Ltd, one of the leading exporter and tea plantation company
in India, being an Indian unlisted company.
- Hindustan lever Ltd, on May 22, 2005, entered Himachal in a big way
by setting up a home-and-personal-care(HPC) factory, with an initial
investment of Rs 110 crore.
-HLL rolls out Brooke Bond brand variation
-Mcleod Russel & HLL signs MoU
-Brookefields food operations moved to Mumbai
-Hindustan Lever Ltd. has appointed Mr. Ashok K. Gupta as Officer who
is in default for the purposes of Compliance with section 5(f) of the
Companies Act, 1956.
- Company name has been changed from Hindustan Lever Ltd to Hindustan
-Hindustan Unilever Limited has informed that Mr. Sanjiv kakkar,
Executive Director, Sales & Customer Development has been appointed
Chairman, Unilever Russia, Ukraine and Belarus (RUB), with effect
from 1st September, 2008.
- HUL completes 75 years on 17th October 2008
- Hindustan Unilever on Jan 26 said it has appointed R Sridhar as its
Chief Financial Officer by succeeding D Sundaram. Sridhar was serving
as the Vice-President, Finance and Controller for Unilever (Asia),
Africa and Central & Eastern Europe region. He joined HUL in 1989.
- Hindustan Unilever decided to license 'Lakme' and 'Lever Ayush',
brands to it's subsidiary, Lakme Lever Private Limited, for the
Beauty and Wellness services business.
- Hindustan Unilever said it exited from BPO firm Capgemini Business
Services India by selling its remaining 49% stake to IT consultancy
firm Cap Gemini SA.
- The directors of Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) have approved the
appointment of Dev Bajpai as Executive Director, Legal and Company
Secretary with effect from June 1, 2010.
- Hindustan Unilever (HUL) may have grown by a healthy 5 per cent
last quarter, entirely driven by volume growth.But for its parent
company Unilever, the performance was still disappointing.Now, to
please Unilever and mop up more volume growth, HUL has introduced a
distribution initiative called 'Must Win 2010'.
- The India born, Manvinder Singh Banga who is better known as Vindi
Banga, will leave Unilever with service of 33years to the Company in
May this year.
- Mr. Paul Polman the global CEO of Unilever looks to take the
innovation route to double HUL business.
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods major Hindustan Unilever Ltd launched a
new affordable variant of water purifier brand Pureit, known as
‘Pureit Compact’ with a price tag of Rs 1,000 in the Indian market.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (HUL) has step forward to divest part of
its stake in Hindustan Field Services (HFS).
-Hindustan Unilever Ltd (HUL) has raised prices of its Lux and
Lifebuoy toilet soaps by Rs 1 each. The price hikes are the company’s
first in 20 months.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd informs about the changes and Details of
- HUL comes up with ‘Bru World Café’
- With the objective of doubling the sales by 2015, the FMCG major,
Hindustan Unilever (HUL) is
eyeing at strategies, which includes re-launches, moves ahead with
its plans, Hindustan Unilever has re-launched its popular Lifebuoy
talcum powder brand.
- India's biggest fast moving consumer goods company, Hindustan
Unilever, has started a campaign across the country in order to save
water by assessing the demand-supply gap.
- HUL taps banks and telecom firms to penetrate deeper into rural
- HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh resigns from HUL's board.
- HUL to enter into agreement with Unilever to market Brylcreem in
- Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) and entities of Piramal Realty
(Ajay Piramal Group) have signed an agreement for assignment of HUL's
leasehold rights of the land and building named Gulita situated at
Worli Sea Face, Mumbai, for a transaction value of Rs. 452.5 Crores
(Rupees Four Hundred and Fifty Two Crores and Fifty lakhs only).
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd have shifted Registered Office from 165/166
Backbay Reclamation, Mumbai 400 020 to the following
address:Hindustan Unilever Ltd.Unilever House, B. D. Sawant Marg,
Chakala Andheri East Mumbai 400099 Tel: 022- 39832312 / 39832532 /
39834510 Fax: 022- 28249457,Email: firstname.lastname@example.org