- The Company was incorporated on 17th January under the name of
Gujarat Amico Chem Ltd. & obtained the Certificate for Commencement
Business on 14th August, 1980. It was promoted by Mafatlal Fine
Spinning & Manufacturing Co. Ltd. and GIIC Ltd. to implement the
Ankleshwar & Bharuch National Gas distribution project by entering
an agreement on 21.12.1987.
- The Company became a subsidiary of MIL on acquisition of 6,12,000
equity shares of Rs 10 each effective 28.1.1991. The Company was
allotted (1) 1,70,000 CMD of national gas for Ankleshwar Branch
& (b) 3,00,000 CMD of national gas for the Surat project.
- The name was changed to Gujarat Gas Co. Ltd. on 8th June.
- In October, the Company had offered for subscription 101 lacs
Shares of Rs.10/- each for cash at par out of which 46.55 lacs
Shares were issued to the Indian Public and the employees of the
Company as also those of Promoter Companies.
- During the year, the Company consolidated its natural gas
distribution operations at Ankleshwar/Bharuch and started the
distribution activities at Surat.
- At Ankleshwar/Bharuch, the Company has committed to 152
8814 domestic and 196 commercial consumers upto 31st May, involving
quantity of more than 177000 Cubic Meters per Day (CMD).
- The Company is also planning to enter the area of supply of
Compressed Natrual Gas (CNG) to vehicles as a fuel to substitute
- The Company is implementing a pilot project at Surat for
about 500 petrol driven cars to CNG.
- The Company has also set up an adequately equipped Research and
Development Centre to improve locally available materials/equipments
and develop new ones required for safe and efficient gas
- The Company has also set up a Training Centre at Bharuch and a
fledged Human Resource Development department.
- The Company commissioned its first CNG station at Surat unit in
month of June.
- The Company has introduced two major systems of Cost Planning and
Control viz. Budgetory Control System and Activity Based Costing
- The Company has installed 1 MW capacity unit at lamba near
- The Company has developed a comprehensive computer network which
keeps all the records of customers and helps in responding to their
complaints and other needs instantly.
- Gas Chromatograph facility has been established to analyse Natural
Gas composition, Calorific value, Spec. Gravity, Odourant level and
- The first wind power generation project of 1 MW capacity at Lamba
near Porbandar was commisioned in September.
- During the year, the company has been able to achieve 100%
utilisation with respect to gas distribution quantity of 1.7 lacs
mtrs. per day on committed/fall back basis.
- In view of encouraging response from the customers, second CNG
station at Surat is being set up and will be commissioned during
- It is planned to set up a Joint Venture Company with Bharat
Corporation Ltd. (BPCL) for development of import terminals at some
existing/new ports alongwith suitable infrastructure facilities.
- The Company has decided to enter parallel marketing of LPG and
- It is planned to set up two LPG Bottling plants, one near
and second near Rajkot.
- The Company received an additional commitment of 50,000 CMD of gas
from Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd. The wind farm project
near Porbandar generated 981875 units.
- The Company realised 6374 domestic connection and 419
commercial/industrial connections. In 1996 additional 10068
customers were connected during the year and only a 11 new
customers were connected. The Company received an additional supply
50,000 CMD from GSPCL from the Hazera field.
- The wind power machines produced 1,21,955 units. Both the
plants viz. Lodhika near Rajlot and Sanand near Ahmedabad of the
company were commissioned in the previous year and maintained an
uninterrupted gas supply to its customers.
- The Company undertook to implement a project for laying an
underground pipeline network and other associated installation for
distribution of 45,200 CMD of natural gas to commence at Ankleshwar
- Petroleum Infrastructure Ltd.: it is a joint venture between
Petroleum Corporation Ltd & the company. The joint venture
a project at Okha to create infrastructure facilities for the import
receipt and storage of LPG.
- UGI Gujarat Gas India Ltd.: This is a joint venture between the
company and UGI of U.K. The plant at Pune was commissioned in June
1996 and quality gas meters were produced.
- The Company entered into a MOU with a British power generating and
distributing company namely Eastern Generation Ltd.
- Gujarat Gas Financial Services Ltd. is a subsidiary of the
- As a long term growth in natural gas the company entered into a
with Enron for market development for importing liquefied natural
The MOU proposed to reserve 0.9 MMTPA for gas distribution.
- During the year, the Company received an additional commitment of
50000 CMD of gas from Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Limited
(GSPCL) from their Hazira Gas field from July, 1995.
- As the members are aware, the Company has decided to acquire 78%
the equity share of Tripura Natural Gas Company Limited (TNGCL) and
taken various effective steps to start implementation of gas
distribution project at Agartala.
- During the year, the Company opened a new CNG Dispensing Station
Ankleshwar industrial area.
- During the year, GFSL has introduced many new and innovative
financing schemes for Natural Gas and LPG customers.
- The Company has formally introduced Total Quality Management (TQM)
programme during the year and it is expected that within 2 to 3
time period, the customer service standards practiced by the Company
will be comparable to the best standards internationally.
- The Company during the year, conducted the Employee Satisfaction
Survey through a leading consultancy firm and have taken steps to
improve satisfaction levels within the organisation.
- Gujarat Gas has a joint venture with BPCL for bottling LPG along
two plants and as such provides British Gas with an ideal vehicle to
launch its Indian operation.
- GGCL has entered into a joint venture with BPCL to set up
infrastructure at minor ports and they have set up a port at Okha in
Gujarat where 100,000 tonnes of LPG will be imported.
- The gas company, promoted by the Mafatlals and the Gujarat
Investment Corporation (GIIC), is supplying natural gas through a
network of pipelines in Surat, Ankleshwar and Bharuch.
- Enron has signed an MoU for three joint ventures (50:50 each) with
Gujarat Gas for importing and transporting LNG (liquefied natural
and for a power plant.
- GGCL is a joint sector company of the Gujarat Industrial
Corporation (GIIC) and the Mafatlal group.
- GGCL has an agreement with a Qatar-based subsidiary of Enron for
supply of liquefied natural gas for its grid.
- The company proposed to embark on a major expansion of its gas
- The company has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with
for market development for importing Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd (GGCL), is the largest private sector gas
distribution company in India.
- GGCL has another joint venture with UGI Meters Ltd part of the
British Hanson group to make meters to monitor the consumption of
- Gujarat Gas Company (GGCL), a subsidiary of British Gas Asia
Holding Pte Ltd, is eyeing more markets in Gujarat for gas
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd (GGCL) has entered into a memorandum of
understanding with Pune-based engineering major, Thermax Ltd, for
manufacturing gas-based air-conditioners.
- GGCL subsidiary, Gujarat Gas Financial Services Ltd (GGCL), will
providing the finance for the production of these ACs.
- Gujarat Gas has signed an MoU with Gujarat Pipavav Port Limited and
subsidiary of British Gas to receive about 3.6 million SCMD of gas
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd, a subsidiary of British Gas, is
to be in talks with Interlink Petroleum Ltd and Larsen & Toubro for
acquiring their equity stake in two gas fields in Gujarat.
- An agreement has been signed with Gujarat State Petronet Ltd.
which Gujarat Gas will transport natural gas beginning in the second
half of 2001 from the Hazira field of Gujarat State Petroleum Corpn.
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd., a subsidiary of British Gas, has
Mr. Robert Thomas as its new Managing Direcor replacing Mr Edwin
- British Gas subsidiary, Gujarat Gas Company Ltd., has signed a
10-year gas transmission arrangement with Gujarat State Petronet Ltd.
- The Company has signed a gas sales agreement with Search Chem
whereby GGCL will supplly two lakh twenty five thousand cubic metre
natural gas to Search Chem at Jhagadia. 2002
- Gujarat Gas Company accepted the resignation of Mr Angus
Board of Directors has in its meeting held today (March 9, 2002)
appointed Mr Antony Seigel as additional Director.
-Gujarat Gas Company Ltd has informed that British Gas Asia Pacific
Holdings Pte Ltd (BGAPH), has nominated Mr. B S Shantharaju as the
Managing Director of the Company with effect from March 1, 2003.Mr.
Robert Thomas, the existing nominee of BGAPH will continue to be in
office till February 28, 2003.
-Mr B S Shantharaju has been appointed as new MD of Gujarat
-Gujarat Gas Co. has signed an agreement with Gujarat State
Fertilisers and Chemicals Ltd
for the supply of 0.15 million standard cubic meters of gas per day.
-Mr.Ajit Kapadia has been appointed as the Additional Director on the
board of the company.
-Gujarat Gas Co Ltd has signed an agreement with GardenSilks Mills
Ltd for the supply of
0.166million standard cubic meters of gas per day
-Gujarat Gas Company Ltd has has appointed Mr Anil Mukim as an
-Gujarat Gas Company Ltd has signed an agreement with Gujarat State
Petroleum Corporation Ltd (GSPCL) for purchase of upto 0.50 million
standard cubic meters of gas per day
-Gujarat Gas signs RoU Agreement with Gujarat Industrial Development
-Bank launches country's first international gold debit card
providing benefits like comprehensive insurance cover and zero
surcharge at petrol pumps on December 9, 2004 .
-Commissioned 6 new CNG stations
-Gujarat Gas - GTCL signs gas sale contract
-Touched 3 mmscmd of gas sales
-Listed and awarded one among india's Best Manged Companies
-Gujarat Gas enters into BTA with BGIESPL
-Gujarat Gas enters into Gas Sales Contract with BGEPIL
-Reached 20 plus CNG stations
-Touched 1 billion cubic metre of gas sales
-Gujarat Gas has appointed Mr. Shaleen Sharma as the Managing
Director of the Company for a period of 5 (five) years with effect
from July 01, 2007.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs10/- to Rs2/-
-Touched 200000 PNG and 50000 CNG customer mark
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of
the Company at its meeting held on January 31, 2008, has appointed Mr.
Rajeev Khanna as an additional director of the Company.
- Gujarat Gas Co. Ltd has informed that Mrs. Rajeshwari Sharma has
been appointed as the Company Secretary of the Company with effect
from February 08, 2008.
- Gujarat Gas Company Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of
the Company at its meeting held on December 16, 2008 has appointed Mr.
Alan Derek Fisher as the additional director of the Company with
effect from November 21, 2008.
-Gujarat Gas has received the Surat Na Sitara award for the best
consumer oriented company in surat in the corporate category at a
public function held in Surat on 24th of janyary 2009.
-Gujarat Gas Company has given the Bonus in the Ratio of 1:1
-India's Best Companies to work for 2010, Gujarat Gas Company Limited
Ranked top 100.
-Gujarat Gas Company announced that it has entered into an agreement
with BG India Energy Solutions in order to supply 0.60 mmscmd of
regassified LNG, on a firm basis for the months of July as well as
August and September 2010.
-Guj Gas Co - Enters into an agreement with BG India Energy Solutions
-Guj Gas Co.- majority stakeholder that it has started a process that
may result in divesting its shareholding in GCCL.
-The Company has executed a fully termed Gas Sales and Transportation
Contract (GSTC) with GAIL (India) Ltd (GAIL) for the purchase of gas
from the Panna-Mukta and Tapti (PMT) fields.
-Mr. Sugata Sircar has been appointed as an Additional Director and
as the Managing Director of the Company.
-Gujarat Gas gets PNGRB nod for Hazira- Ankleshwar natural gas