- The Company was Incorporated on 9th February, at Rajasthan. The
Company was jointly promoted by House of Poddar Enterprises (HOPE)
and Gillette Company, U.S.A. (Gillette). The Company Manufacture
stainless steel razor blades.
- Gillette entered into a foreign collaboration agreement with HOPE
for setting up of a company for the manufacture of stainless steel
razor blades in which Gillette agreed to subscribe 24% of the equity
capital. The agreement also provided for technical collaboration by
Gillette over the full range of technical know-how and technical
assistance for the manufacture of razor blades, razors and shaving
- 70 Shares subscribed for by the signatories to the Memorandum of
Association. 49,99,930 shares then issued at par of which 12,24,930
share to HOPE and 12,00,000 shares to Gillette Company, U.S.A., were
reserved and allotted. Out of the remaining 25,75,000 share,
share to Indian working directors employees and business associates
of the company (only 1,25,400 shares taken up) and 5,00,000 shares to
NRIs on reptriation basis (all were taken up) were reserved for
preferential allotment. The balance 19,00,000 shares, along with the
49,600 shares not taken by employees were offered for public
subscription in October.
- The Company undertook to set up a plant for the manufacture in the
first phase, 200 million stainless steel razor blades per annum.
- The blades manufactured by the Company were of two types, the
premium 7 O'Clock Ejtek Super Platium and the stainless brand 7
O'Clock Ejtek Super Stainless.
- The Company took over Sharpedge Ltd., by acquiring the entire share
capital of that company. Effective 1st April, 1991, Sharpedge Ltd,
was amalgamated with the Company as per approval of the BIFR.
- The Company proposed to launch a new razor blade. The Company
introduced new twin blade shaving system called 7 O'Clock Ejtek P II
with platinum enriched edges.
- The Company offered 18,28,476 No. of Equity shares of Rs 10 each
for cash at par in the following manner:
- (i) 16,66,666 No. of Equity shares at par as rights to the
shareholders in the proportion 1:3,
- (ii) 83,333 No. of equity shares to employees of the Company
including Indian working directors and
- (iii) 78,477 No. of equity shares to the promoters, i.e., 38,834
shares to Gillette Co., U.S.A., and 39,643 shares to the House of
Poddar Enterprises, subject to a proportionate reduction in the event
of undersubscription by employees.
- The Company diversified into shaving preparations and launched the
premium quality 7 O'Clock Ejtek shaving brush.
- 12,02,685 shares were taken up by the shareholders. Out of the
unsubscribed portion of 4,63,981 shares, 4,57,730 shares were
allotted to promoters (26,730 shares to House of Poddar and 4,31,000
shares to Gillette Co., of U.S.A.) in February.
- Employees had taken up only 2,300 shares and the remaining 81,033
shares were allowed to lapse. As a result, the promoters quota was
also proportionately reduced. The 78,477 shares reserved for
promoters were not required to be allotted as the issue was
- The Controller of Capital gave permission to allot 12,41,800 No.
of Equity shares of Rs 10 each for cash at par to Gillette Co.,
U.S.A. It was issued in February.
- The Company undertook to expand substantially its production
capacity of 7 O'Clock Ejtek P II, the twin blade shaving system.
- The Company launched two new products namely 7 O'Clock Ejtek P II
shaving system with a metal spine and a shave cream in three
- The improved performance was attributed to the
rehabilitation-cum-amalgamation Scheme approved by BIFR for
amalgamation of Sharpedge Ltd., with the Company.
- 19,31,800 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 110
per shares were allotted on 18-06-1992. With this, the Company would
be given the permission to use the brand name Gillette which would
enable higher sales and profit growth.
- Sabre Pens Ltd., Sheen Dental Products Ltd., Klosershav Products
Ltd., and Vanity Cosmetic Ltd., are wholly owned subsidiaries of the
- 7,00,000 No. of Equity shares allotted at par to foreign promoters
on 17th December, 1991.
- During December 1992-January 1993, the Company offered 10,55,600
secured zero interest fully convertible debentures of Rs 120 each for
cash at par on rights basis in the proportion 5 debs.: 50 equity
shares held (all were taken up). Another 52,780 zero interest
also offered to employees' on an equitable basis (all were taken up).
Another 56,805 zero interest debentures were allotted to Gillette Co.,
- Rs 50 of the face value of each debenture was to be converted into
one equity share of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 40 per share on
expiry of 6 months for the date of allotment of debentures.
Accordingly 11,65,185 share were allotted. Remaining Rs 70 of the
value of each debenture was to be converted into 1 equity share of Rs
10 each at a premium of Rs 60 per share on expiry of 18 months from
the date of allotment of debentures.
- The Company commenced the launch of Gillette Shaving products in
India with the launch of Gillette Presto Readyshaver.
- The Company launched another Readyshaver under the Brand name of 7
O'Clock Ready II. The Company also launched under a distribution
arrangement tooth brushes under the well known international brand
- The Company successfully launched Gillette Sensor & Sensor Excell
shaving systems which met with an excellent consumer and trade
response, Gillette Shave Foam was also launched.
- The company introduced Gillette Aerosol shaving cream. This
market is dominated by Colgate-palmolive, Godrej and Old Spice.
- Indian Shaving Products Ltd (ISPL) and Duracell India Pvt Ltd are
merging their respective Ltd and marketing networks in the country
with effective from April 1st.
- Indian Shaving Products Ltd will be distributing the Duracell range
of batteries through its own sales and distribution network.
- Indian Shaving Products, a subsidiary of the Gillette Company of
the US, recently acquired Duracell, worldwide. In India, Duracell is
represented through its own subsidiary, Duracell India Pvt Ltd - a
separate legal entity.
- Gillette is working on a strategy to hike its equity stake in
Indian Shaving Products Limited (ISPL) from 51 per cent to 74 per
- The company for the first time entered the ladies personal care
segment with the launch of the Gillette Sensor Excel for women in
- The company has diversified its portfolio to increase its male
personal products coverage while it has also introduced the Sensor
Excel for women in 1997-98.
- Now for the first time in India, shaving products have gone on the
Net. Indian Shaving Products Ltd (ISPL) has tied up with
Rediff-on-the-Net e-commerce to market its product and increase its
- Indian Shaving Products (ISPL) is undertaking a major capacity
expansion plan buoyed by strong volume growth and high capacity
- The company is launching the Gillette Mach-III, the three-blade
razor, as part of its growth plans in the country. The latest razor
in the Gillette portfolio, Mach-III has been developed with an R&D
investment of 0m.
- The Company has approved the amalgamation of Duracell (India) Pvt.
Ltd. and Wilkinson Sword India Ltd. with the company.
- The Company has launched the Arctic Ince collection in India.
-Gillette India Ltd has informed that the resolution regarding sale
of Duracell Manesar Plant have been passed through postal ballot by a
total of 2,84,33,494 votes (99.985%) in favour of the resolution out
of 2,84,37,854 votes polled.
-Gillette India has shut down its alkaline battery manufacturing
plant Duracell India,
at Manesar in Gurgaon,which costs around Rs.27.76cr.
-Gillette USA has made an application to the secretriat for
Investment Promotion Board seeking their approval to infuse capital
-Gillette Company is investing million in its Indian subsidiary,
-Gillette India has declared two mega promotions aimed at Indian
Foodball fans and consumers-Duracell cup of Joy and win Rs.5 cr.
-Gillette India has conducted raid at two premises in the city and
identified fake toiletries worth Rs.3 lakh.
-Gillette India enters into agreement with Thanawala Group for sale
of its Geep battery business comprising Brand names and sales and
-Gillette India has rearranged its complete range of shaving
-Gillette India has awarded its creative account to Ogilvy and Mather
following a global re-alignment of ad agencies.
-Gillette has identified the double edged blade segment as its growth
-Gillette India is in the process of repositioning its flagship blade
brand for which the company has devised a new communication strategy
that aims to address blades as branded products.
-Delisting of equity shares of the Company from Delhi, Jaipur and
Kolkata Stock Exchanges.
-Gillette India Limited has informed that they have received a letter
issued by the Delhi Stock Exchange conveying delisting of the shares
of the Company from the said Exchange.
- Gillette India Ltd launches battery-powered toothbrush, 'Cross
Action Power', on May 25, 2004
-Gillette ropes in Beckham to promote its products
-Gillette India announced the launch of new generation triple blade
shaving system Mach3Turbo
- Delists equity shares of the Company from the Calcutta Stock
Exchange (CSE) with effect from August 18, 2004
-The Gillette Company, USA was acquired worldwide through merger in
October, 2005 by Procter& Gamble Company, USA creating the largest
Consumer products Company in the World.
-Gillette India introduces new shaving system 'Mach 3 Turbo
-P&G to acquire Gillette India in bn deal
-GIL moves office base to Mumbai
-The trading symbol of Gillette India Limited shall be changed from
INDSHAVING to GILLETTE w.e.f. April 04, 2006.
- Company launched Gillette Presto Plus for more discerning
consumers. Oral B brand launched Oral B Vision and Kid in Premium
- Company launched The Gillette Winners program that had sports
legends Roger Federer, Thierry Henry and Tiger Woods and Rahul
Dravid. An innovative program Free Dental Check up was organized to
enable consumers to benefit from expertise of professional dentists
at no cost. Oral-B brand launched a new variant Shiny Clean targeted
at the value segment.
- Gillette India Ltd has appointed Mr. Anil Kumar Gupta as an
Additional Director of the Company pursuant to Section 260 of the
Companies Act 1956, with effect from March 28, 2009 until the date of
the next Annual General Meeting.
Mr. Gupta will be an
Independent Director on the Board of the Company.
- Mr. Deepak Acharya has resigned as Company Secretary and Compliance
Officer with effect from December 01, 2011 consequent to his
International Assignment with P & G Switzerland and relocation to
- Gillette India Ltd - Change in Director.