- The Company, formerly known as DCM Toyota Ltd., was incorporated as
Public Limited Company on August 1, and obtained Certificate of
Commencement of Business on October 1. The Company was jointly
promoted by DCM Ltd. and Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan (TMC) vide
Joint Venture (JV) Agreement dated March 15, 1982, for the purpose
assembling and progressively manufacturing in India certain models
Toyota Vehicles to be mutually agreed upon by both parties and spare
parts thereof, to be distributed for sale to the consuming public.
- The company set up a plant for manufacturing Light Commercial
Vehicles with an annual capacity of 15000 LCVs at its works at A-I
Surajpur Industrial Area, Noida-Dadri Road, Tehsil Dadri, Distt
- The JV agreement provided for DCM to subscribe to the extent of
and TOYOTA to subscribe to the extent of 26% of the paid up equity
share capital of the Company.
- DCM Ltd. held 33% and TMC held 26% of the Equity Capital of the
Company. The plant was equipped with latest machinery to produce
matching with the stringent international Toyota standards. Plant
commissioned in 15 months and commercial production of model DYNA
commenced in 1985.
- The merged company now known as DCM-Daewoo has virtually stopped
the supply of the 'Dyna LVC' to its 80 odd dealers in India even as
it continues to step up export of the vehicle.
-Reported sale of 1 500 cars over a three months period since its
launch in July according to the Managing Director S G Aswathy.
-DCM Daewoo changes proposed car model for Indian market again.
-Appointed 50 new dealers nationwide to begin deliveries of the
1500cc passenger car Cielo next month.
- S.G. Awasth the Korean company has changed its decision to set up
the engine and transmission manufacturing facilities in China.
-The chairman of the Korean automobile giant Daewoo C.S. Lee
inaugurated the 50th car showroom-cum-workshop in India with modern
facilities at par with international standards.
-Becomes the first automobile joint venture to sign a memorandum of
understanding (MoU) with the Indian government for the import of
completely knocked down (CKD) units.
-Department of Company Affairs (DCA) has launched an investigation
against DCM Daewoo.
-South Korean automobile giant Daewoo has decided to launch its
commercial vehicles range in India through subsidiary DCM Daewoo
-The corporate office of the automobile major DCM Daewoo Motors Ltd
was raided and sealed by the sales tax authorities
-More than 20 000 Ceilo cars have been sold by DCM Daewoo through
their appointed dealers all over the country a large majority of
which was in Delhi and neighbouring states.
-DCM Daewoo Motors Limited has tied up financing required to bankroll
its US billion car project.
-South Korean automobile giant Dawoo is believed to have ticked out a
proposal for launching 'Ticco' in collaboration with DCM in India
-Maruti Udyog Ltd launched the upgraded version of the 800 cc on
September 12 visitors at the ongoing 57th Frankfurt Motor Show were
admiring the all-new Daewoo D'Arts.
-Eenteres into joint venture agreements with various international
automotive component vendors. These are Pan Alfa-Dong Won for
mufflers Fiem-Sung-San for lamps Korin India for rear axles and
Spack Automotive for seats.
-The Cabinet Committee on Foreign Investment (CCFI) has allowed
Daewoo Corporation of South Korea to hold 92 per cent equity stake in
DCM Daewoo Motors Ltd
-Daewoo Corporation South Korea has already invested or committed
to invest Rs.685.92 crore in DCM-Daewoo Motors for a 75% equity stake
(at Rs.25.33 for a 51% stake and at Rs.23.50 for the other 24%
acquired from DCM) and rights entitlement thereof (at Rs.15 per
-Fortune Cars (P) Ltd was launched as the new dealers in Navi Mumbai
for Cielo the premium car from DCM Daewoo Motors.
-Cut down the production of Cielo cars by 75 per cent owing to a
free-fall in their sale.
-Slashed the price of its Cielos a whopping 25 per cent in one
-The company has dropped two of its largest dealers Bhasin Motors in
New Delhi and Bhandari Motors in Pune
-Launches the Valyou for Money print campaign for the price corrected
Cielo it was so caught up by the hook that the advertising agency
Equus Advertising company promptly applied for a copyright on the new
-Launches its small car called Matiz in Seoul. the car was displayed
at the fourth Auto Expo at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi in January and
sales of the left-hand version in Korea will begin in April.
- Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) of Japan has decided to wash its
hands off the merger two per cent stake it held in Daewoo Motors
India Limited a senior company official said
-Sought a Rs.105-crore loan from the Export Import Bank of Korea
(K-Exim) to fund its captive power plant in Uttar Pradesh
-Hikes the prices on all the models of Cielo with effect from July 5
- The industry ministry has approved the application of Daewoo Motors
India Ltd for a technical assistance agreement paving way for the
introduction of small car Matiz in September
- Korean electronics major Daewoo in association with Kinetic
Communications Ltd has launched a full range of Daewoo colour
monitors in the Indian market.
- Matiz the small car to be launched by the Korean company Daewoo
-Joined hands with six non-banking finance companies (NBFCs)
-Mr S G Awashti managing director Daewoo Motors has been
re-appointed for a five-year term.
- 796cc Matiz -- has bagged two international awards for the `best
small car' at the British International Motor Show in Great Britain
and the `world's most beautiful car' at the L' Automobile Pin Bella
Del Mondo contest in Italy.
-Announced the closure of booking for its newly launched Matiz car
after securing 3 000 orders three days before slated closure
-The Calcutta High Court has allowed an appeal by Daewoo Motors India
Ltd and has vacated the order of injunction passed by the 2nd Civil
Judge senior division Alipore Court restraining the sale of Matiz
in the state of West Bengal
- Mr. K.H. Nam has been appointed as the Chairman & Whole-time
of the Company in place of Mr. S.H. Park with effect from 30 April.
-Daewoo has launched the Nexia deluxe, in the upper end of the
-The Company is launching a large-scale service and test drive
campaign throughout the country from June 17.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd, a subsidiary of South Korea's Daewoo
Corp, is working out the cost structure of its popular small car
Matiz in view of the continuing depreciation of the rupee against
- Enthused by the growing demand for its small car `Matiz', Daewoo
Motors India Ltd is working towards expanding its dealership network
23.9 per cent while the number of authorised service centres are
increased 111 per cent by September-end.d
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd is launched S.P.I.C.E. into lives of Matiz
buyers. Daewoo introduced two new variants of Matiz - SG and SA --
which have replaced the existing Matiz SE and SP models.
- The Company will expand its dealer and authorised service centre
network in the country in an aggressive bid to doble volumes of its
- Mr. S. G. Awasthi resigned as chairman of the company.
- The Company has suspended production of passenger cars at its
- The Company is shutting its plant for a week from December 13,
following low demand and piling up of stocks.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd. has in collaboration with ICICI Personal
Financial Services launched a new scheme for enabling car buyers to
purchase the company's small car the Matiz at low interest rates.
- Citing a bulging inventory of unsold cars, ailing Daewoo Motor Co.
temporarily shut down some assembly lines at its main plant
foiling a threatened strike by workers.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd. will introduce three new models -- two in
the mid-size segment and one in the premium segment -- in India.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd. will hive-off its engine and gearbox
into a separate company.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd introduced its new cars - Magnus, Lanos
and Nubira - in the southern market.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd (DMIL) Managing Director and Chief
Mr. Y.C. Kim, has put in his papers and handed over charge to Mr
- Daewoo Motors India on june 22 said it would hike the prices of
premium small car Matiz by 2-3 per cent in north and east India from
- Daewoo Motors India will launch a limited edition version of its
premium small car Matiz early next month.
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd, subsidiary of the ailing South Korean car
maker Daewoo Motor Corp, on august 29 announced the launch of two
special edition versions of its 800-cc Matiz car with more features
a price dearer by about Rs 9,000. The two special edition cars, the
Matiz Special SG and Matiz Special SA will be available from
- DMIL said it had also signed an agreement with the workers union
a separation programme for the 237 workers affected by the closure
- Daewoo Motors India Ltd (DMIL), the subsidiary of bankrupt South
Korean Daewoo Motor Co Ltd, cut production to just four days a week
September as part of its cost-cutting drive
- Troubled auto-maker Daewoo Motors has been rated the most
environment-friendly car manufacturer in India by the Centre for
Science & Environment. Compatriot Hyundai Motors has been ranked
in the ratings.
- Daewoo Motor India Ltd, a subsidiary of South Korean chaebol
has asked six executives to leave the organisation.
- These include a general manager based in New Delhi, a deputy
from the Chandigarh office of the company, an assistant manager from
Chennai, an officer (sales and administration) from Mumbai, another
executive from Bangalore and one secretary-level employee in New
- Daewoo Motor India Ltd is gearing up to launch new models of the
Matiz next year. The new Matiz model (not the Kalos) is expected to
the roads in January. It will have new features, but most importantly
different exterior (higher bonnet, grill and front lights, etc),
will be in sharp contrast to the feminine looks of the existing
-General Motors is following an agreement it signed to buy assets
from Daewoo Motor with only slight differences blocking a final
-Maruti Udyog Ltd, Daewoo Motors and Hindustan Motors has entered
into technical tie-up with Rohan Automotive Equipments Pvt Ltd
(RAEPL) for supply and fitting of LPG dual fuel kits in cars.
-Approaches domestic car manufacturers to acquire assets of the
- Surajpur factory has stopped its production all the employees are
waiting for the directions from Korea.
-DRT has appointed receiver rejected bids for the DMIL 's current
assets, which made the ongoing auction of DMIL assets further
-Daewoo Motors India Ltd, have seized its Surajpur production unit
through a receiver inducted by the debt recovery tribunal.
- NM Rothschild, the investment banker has been appointed to sell the
assets of Daewoo Motors India.
-Mr Sahib Singh Verma, the Union Labour Minister, has intervened in
the Daewoo Motors India Ltd plant case at Surajpur.