-Stylish Palmolive advertising begins, emphasizing ingredient purity
and product benefits.
-Colgate & Company celebrates its 100th anniversary. Product line
includes over 800 different products.
-Colgate is incorporated by the five sons of Samuel Colgate.
-Ribbon opening added to Colgate tube: “We couldn't improve the
product so we improved the tube.”
-Colgate distributes two million tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes
to schools, and provides hygienists to demonstrate tooth brushing.
-William Mennen introduces the first American shaving cream tube.
-Colgate establishes its first international subsidiary in Canada.
-Colgate begins establishing operations in Europe, Asia, Latin
America and Africa.
-Soap manufacturers Palmolive and Peet merge to become Palmolive-Peet
-Colgate merges with Palmolive-Peet to become Colgate-Palmolive-Peet
-On March 13, Colgate is first listed on the New York Stock
- The Company was incorporated on 23rd September, as a private
limited company. The Company Manufacture and market dental care
products (dental cream and tooth powder), hair care products (hair
oils, shampoos, brilliantine) and other personal care products such
shaving creams, and lotions, face creams, baby powder, talcum powder,
etc. The products are marketed under the trade marks Colgate.
Palmolive, Halo and Charmis.
- A distribution set up was also developed on an all-India basis with
warehouse facilities in Mumbai, Chennai and Calcutta.
- Colgate-Palmolive Company, U.S.A. supplemented this reinvestment by
providing, technical assistance, new product information and its
worldwide developments in quality dental care and other personal care
products. The Company has its own research and development
Dr. Mark L. Morris develops a pet food to help save a guide dog named
Buddy from kidney disease. This breakthrough leads to the first Hill's
Prescription Diet product.
-Ajax cleanser is launched, establishing a powerful now-global brand
equity for cleaning -products.
-Colgate-Palmolive Company becomes company's official name.
-Colgate opens corporate headquarters at 300 Park Avenue in New York
-Colgate opens research center in Piscataway, NJ.
-Fabric conditioner is launched in France as Soupline. Today, fabric
conditioners are sold in over 54 countries around the world.
-Palmolive dishwashing liquid is introduced and today it is sold in
over 35 countries.
-Colgate toothpaste adds MFP Fluoride, clinically proven to reduce
-Irish Spring launches in Germany as Irische Frühling and in Europe
as Nordic Spring. In 1972, Irish Spring is introduced in North
-Colgate acquires Hoyt Laboratories, which later becomes Colgate Oral
-Caprice hair care launches in Mexico. Today, hair care products are
sold in over 70 countries, with variants to suit every type of hair
-Colgate-Palmolive acquires Hill's Pet Nutrition. Today Hill's is the
global leader in pet nutrition and veterinary recommendations.
- The object of the offer for sale of shares made to the Indian
public during November was to reduce the non-resident holding to 40%.
This offer for sale was made by Colgate-Palmolive Company, U.S.A., to
the resident-Indians public to comply with FERA, 1973. As a result,
11,79,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each were offered at a
premium of Rs 15 per share.
- 19,65,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
-Colgate Plus toothbrush is introduced. Today over 1.6 billion
Colgate toothbrushes are sold annually worldwide. If you lined them
up end to end, they would circle the globe 16 times.
- 39,30,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
-Protex bar soap is introduced, and today offers all-family
antibacterial protection in over 56 countries.
-Colgate-Palmolive enters into a joint venture with Hong Kong-based
Hawley & Hazel, a leading oral care company, which adds strength in
key Asian markets.
-The Chairman's You Can Make A Difference Program is launched,
recognizing innovation and executional excellence by Colgate people.
-Colgate acquires Softsoap liquid soap business from the Minnetonka
Corporation. Today, Colgate is the global leader in liquid hand soap.
- 78,60,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company received a licence for producing 24,000 tonnes per
annum of fatty acids. It also registered with DGTD for production of
30,000 tonnes of toilet soap per annum.
- Shares sudivided on 29.9.1978. 19,50,000 bonus shares were then
issued in prop. 130:1.
- Orders were placed for setting up a fatty acid plant with an annual
capacity of 20,000 tonnes and a toilet soap plant with an annual
finishing capacity of 15,000 tonnes.
-Annual Company sales surpass the billion mark.
- 1,57,20,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company launched new Colgate Gel Toothpaste, Palmolive Extra
Care and new Palmolive soap and relaunched a high quality colgate
Plus and other toothbrushes.
- 1,88,64,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 3:5.
- The Company participated in the global launch of Colgate Total
Toothpaste and Asia/Pacific regional launch of Protex Soap.
- The Company proposed to negotiate with appropriate global partners
for the necessary technology needed to implement vertically
integrated projects and diversification into high technology areas to
effect import substitutions for a range of materials.
- During September, 112,92,735 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
were allotted at a premium of Rs 50 per share to Colgate Palmolive
Company, U.S.A. with a view to raise its shareholding to 51% of the
subscribed capital. 615,96,735 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company acquired the oral hygiene business of Hindustan
- The Company offered 123,19,347 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
at a premium of Rs 10 per share on Rights basis in the proportion
1:10 (all were taken up). 2,40,000 shares of Rs 10 each were issued
to the employees at a premium of Rs 10 per share on an equitable
(Details of allotment non-known).
- Also, 2,49,795 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of
Rs 1 per share were issued to Colgate Palmolive Co., U.S.A., on
preferential allotment basis to maintain their shareholding at 51%.
- The Company launched colgate fresh stripe tooth paste and palmolive
naturals soap in personal care products segments, Keratin Treatment
Shampoo and Palmolive optima in Hair care segment during the year.
Axion dishwashing paste was test launched in Maharashtra.
- The Company established a modern facility at Aurangabad to
manufacture Dicalcium phosphate, a key ingredient for toothpaste.
- Passion Trading & Investment Co., Ltd., Jigs Investments Ltd.,
Multimint Leasing & Finance Ltd. and Camelot Investments Company Ltd.
are subsidiaries of the Company.
- The Company established a wholly-owned subsidiary at Hetanda in
Nepal in June 1988. The facility will manufacture tooth paste and
tooth powder initially.
- The Company received a licence for producing 24,000 tonnes per
annum of fatty acids.
- The company paid a dividend of Rs.4.50 per share in 3 instalments
first interim Rs.1.60 second interim Rs.1.60 and final of Rs.1.30 per
- Colgate is the market leader in oral care with its toothpaste
commanding a market share of over 60 per cent, followed by Hindustan
Lever with around 35 per cent.
- The Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission (MRTPC)
has, in an interim order, directed Colgate to withdraw its
long-standing Suraksha Chakra advertisement within two weeks.
- HLL has taken Colgate to the MRTPC over claims made by its recently
launched toothpaste - Colgate Dental Cream Double Protection (CDC-DP)
- a variant of the popular Colgate Dental Cream (CDC).
- Colgate-Palmolive is one of the few multinational stocks which have
failed to outperform the market in the recent past.
- In its recent launch the company has launched Colgate Double
Protection tooth paste for the entire family.
- Colgate-Palmolive has finally signed up with the depository even as
Sebi has sent out a note of warning to the remaining six companies.
- Colgate-Palmolive (India) Ltd, a market leader in the toothpaste
segment, suffered heavy setback during the first half of the current
year due to stiff competition.
- The company has established the Dicalcium Phosphate (DP)
manufacturing facility at Aurangabad.
- Colgate-Palmolive had launched the ad campaign for its new product
Colgate Double Protection toothpaste in competition with rival brand
Pepsodent from the Hindustan Lever stable.
- The corporate has launched the `Colgate Double Protection',
`Colgate Total' and `Colgate Sensation'.
- The company started a new research and development centre, a
manufacturing facility in Nepal, and completed a dicalcium phosphate
facility in Aurangabad.
- A three-judge bench of the Supreme Court allowed the appeal of
Colgate Palmolive (India) Ltd with regard to the use of `Suraksha
Chakra' in the advertisements of the company's toothpaste.
- The re-launch of Pepsodent in July, and launch of Rs 3.50 a sachet
of Pepsodent with a convenient nozzle has helped Colgate-Palmolive to
increase its market share.
- The Company has introduced two new variants to its Palmolive
Naturals sopa range and has revitalised its sandalwood soap.
- The Company has launch of two new variants in its Palmolive
Naturals range of beauty soap lime and milk cream.
- The Company has relaunched Colgate Gel as `Colgate Fresh Energy
- Colgate-Palmolive (Nepal) Pvt. Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of
Colgate-Palmolive (India) Ltd, has informed the stock exchange that a
small group forcibly entered the plant of Colgate-Palmolive (Nepal) at
Hetauda industrial estate and denoted two explosive devices.
- The Company has launch of its International Palmolive Shave Gel and
Palmolive Shave Foam in response to growing consumer interest in skin
- Colgate has relaunched its Cibaca toothpaste as All New Cibaca
- The Company has entered into a strategic tie-up with Calcutta-based
First-net Solutions Ltd, under which both partners will go for joint
sales promotion of Colgate Fresh Energy Gel toothpaste on the Web
- Oral care major Colgate-Palmolive (India) Ltd. has made a foray
into a new category of herbal care with the launch of Colgate Herbal
touted to be a vehicle for increasing the company's rural market
penetration over a period of time.
- Colgate-Palmolive has relaunched its moisturising cold cream
Palmolive, Charmis in a new pack.
- Colgate-Palmolive (India) has launched its new Zig Zag toothbrush.
- Colgate India has launched Colgate Navigator toothbrush in India.
- The Company has launched the double-action Palmolive shaving cream
- The Company has launched the Naturals Line of toilet soaps in
transparent bars that come in see-through packaging.
- Colgate-Palmolive (India) Ltd. has launched its biggest
national-level consumer promotion involving its toothpaste,
toothbrush and soaps.
- Colgate-Palmolive (India) Ltd. has launched international cleaning
product -- Ajax in the Indian household products category for
- Colgate Palmolive (India) Ltd on July 18, announced a special
one-time dividend of Rs 4.75 per share. The company said this would
entail a total outgo of Rs 123.63 crore including the Rs 11.44 crore
tax on dividend.
-Graeme Dalziel, appointed as MD Of Colgate Palmolive India for a
period of 5 years
-Colgate has hiked its market share from 45.9% to 50.2% in the
toothpowder segment with the new strategies of consumer centric
promotional initiatives, impactful visibility and an add campaign
featuring sunil shetty.
-Percept D'Mark has signed a deal with Colgate Palmolive, to offer
miniature of cricket stars in the dental pack.
-Colgate Palmolive has succeeded in the appeal challenging the MRTP
-Colgate-Palmolive launched its first miniature collectibles of
India's Top Cricketer's 'collect your cricketer' promotion.
-Colagate-Palmolive has divested its stake in its subsidiary Camelot
-Colgate has decided to concentrate on its non-oral care division, by
launching an international range of Palmolive Aeromatherapy persoanl
-Introduced 'Colgate Simply White', at-home teeth whitening gel which
is priced at Rs.600 for 10ml.
-Colgate has relaunched colgate dental cream with what the company
calls a fresher taste and improved germ-fighting performance.
-The Company commences shipment of the New Superior Colgate Dental
-The Herbal range was expanded with the launch of a Herbal White
toothpaste for whitening combined with the benefits of Herbal
-Navigator Plus was launched with its unique characteristics as a
-An all new range of Aromatherapy products - Shower Gel, Liquid Hand
Wash and Bar Soap in 2 variants each were launched under the
Palmolive brand as a major thrust in the Personal Products portfolio
- Colgate Palmolive Nepal Ltd a wholly owned subsidiary of the
Company has temporarily suspended its operations in view of
deterioration in general security situation in Hetauda (Nepal)
-Colgate unveils `Simply White' its at-home teeth whitening gel.
-Relaunched Colgate Dental Cream with a fresher taste and improved
-Mr Peter Dam resigned as Director and Chairman of the Board
effective close of business hours on December 31, 2003 consequent
upon his transfer to Brazil.
-Mr Fabian T Garcia has been appointed as a non-retiring Director and
Chairman of the Board effective January 01, 2004 in place of Mr Peter
-Vikram Kaushik resigns from the Board of Colgate Palmolive India
-Colgate-Palmolive launches shower gel variant
- Unveils Palmolive Aroma Sensual Shower Gel, enriched with a blend
of Orchid extract and pure essential oils of jasmine and rose, the
gel is priced at Rs 90 for a 250 ml pack.
-Ties up with IDA to creat promote oral health campaign
-Colgate acquires the GABA oral care business in Europe, with its
strength in the important European pharmacy channel and its ties with
the dental community.
-Colgate-Palmolive unveils Colgate Active Salt toothpaste
-Colgate emerges top brand
-Colgate parent to transfer 20-pc stake to Singapore arm
-Colgate enters the fast-growing Naturals segment by purchasing Tom’s
of Maine, a leader in that market in the United States.
-Colgate-Palmolive conducts free dental check-ups
-Colgate Palmolive rolls out Colgate Max Fresh Gel
-Colgate to acquire 84 pc shares of Tom's of Maine
- Colgate-Palmolive India, the market leader in toothpaste in India,
declared the acquisition of three domestic companies in south India
- Colgate Palmolive India Ltd has appointed Mr. Mukul Deoras as
Managing Director of the Company.
- Colgate Palmolive (India) Ltd has appointed Mr. Paul Alton as the
Whole-time Director of the Company effective September 01, 2010,
subject to the approvals of the Central Government and Shareholders
of the Company. Mr. Alton will head the Finance function and be the
Chief Financial Officer of the Company.
- Mr. Niket S. Ghate has been appointed as Vice-President - Legal,
Company Secretary & Compliance Officer of the company.
-Colgate retains top spot as most trusted brand.
- Dr. (Mrs.) lndu Shahani is been apponted as an Additional Director
(Non-Executive Director) of the Company.
-Colgate recognized as Most Social Company- Blueocean Market
Intelligence for Economic Times Newspaper.
-In the Brand Footprint Report - Colgate topped the charts for brands
that consumers reach out the most.
- The Ethical Brand in FMCG Sector was awarded to Colgate - World CSR
-Colgate awarded the Best Supplier of the Year 2013 - Tesco India at
their Supplier Conference.
-Colgate ranked the No.1 Most Chosen Consumer Brand - In Kantar
Worldpanel Brand Footprint Report.
-Commencement of Commercial Production of toothpaste.
-Colgate-Palmolive (India) Limited, has launched Colgate Sensitive
Pro-ReliefTM (CSPR) Enamel Repair
-Colgate-Palmolive (India) Limited recently launched a new television
commercial for its popular youth toothpaste brand - Colgate MaxFresh
-The Company has allotted the Bonus Shares to its shareholders in the
Ratio of 1:1.