1947 - The company was Incorporated at Mumbai. In January, a
company was registered in India under the name of Sandoz
Ltd., for the sale and distribution of products manufactured
Sandoz, Ltd., Switzerland. The Company manufactures and deals
Pharmaceuticals, textile chemicals, dyestuffs, agrochemicals
chemical preparations of all kinds.
1956 - The Sandoz Products, Ltd., obtained permission to establish a
industrial undertaking to manufacture calcium salts,
pharmaceutical specialities and Leucophor.
1958 - The Company entered into a 10 year collaboration agreement
Sandoz, Ltd. Switzerland, for manufacture of pharmaceuticals
textile chemicals. The Company was permitted to use a number
trade marks of Sandoz, Ltd., Switzerland.
1959 - With a paid-up capital of Rs 10 lakhs. The capital was raised
Rs 50 lakhs in 1954 and to Rs 75 lakhs in 1958.
1961 - At the time of incorporation, the name of the Company was
Products, Ltd. The name was changed to Sandoz (India Ltd.)
June. The name was again changed to Clariant (India) Ltd.
effect from 1st April, 1995.
1964 - The Company entered into another 10 year agreement with
Ltd., Switzerland, for the manufacture of dyestuffs against
reimbursement of actual expenses incurred and payment of a
not exceeding the net annual ex-factory sales (exclusive of
freight of the dyestuffs manufactured or Rs 2 lakhs,
- The Company also entered into another agreement with Sandoz.,
Ltd. Switzerland, for obtaining the know how for the
of products under the Phytochemicals Scheme for a
of Rs 4 lakhs to be paid to the collaborators in the form of
- The Company further agreed to reimburse Sandoz, Ltd. Basle,
Switzerland, the actual expenses not exceeding Rs 2 lakhs per
annum that might be incurred by them from 1st January, for a
period of 5 years for rendering technical assistance to the
company for the manufacture of Podophyllum extract.
- Shares subdivided in November. 7,50,000 shares then issued by
Prospectus. Out of the issue: (i) 2,36,000 shares allotted
Sandoz, Ltd., Switzerland, out of which 1,36,000 shares were
allowed for cash. (ii) 75,000 shares allotted for cash Shaw
Wallace & Co., Ltd., (iii) 1,39,000 shares reserved allotment
existing shareholders, Directors, their friends and
and (iv) 3,00,000 shares offered for public subscription in
1967 - 275 No. of equity shares forfeited for non-payment of calls.
1968 - 275 No. of equity shares reissued during the year.
1969 - The Company acquired 22,500 equity shares of Rs 10 each of
Wander, Ltd., a company formed by combining the interest of
Sandoz and Wander and in which Dr. A. Wander A.G.,
held majority shares.
1976 - 3,75,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 2:5.
1978 - 6,25,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:4.
1981 - 10,00,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 2:5.
1984 - The major works included development of processes in basic
manufacturing and formulations. Two new products introduced
during 1986 viz., Brinaldix and Mellerets are the result of
R&D of the Company.
- 10,00,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 2:7.
1986 - At the Khandla Free Trade Zone, a modern multipurpose
plant was commissioned.
1987 - The pharmaceutical division received letters of intent for
manufacture of Thioridazine - a bulk drug and Pindolol a bulk
drug and formulation.
- The Chemicals' division received a letter of intent for
chemicals and an industrial licence for speciality leather
- The agrochemicals division received a letter of intent for
manufacture of Fluvalinate Technical, an insecticide and its
- During February, the Company issued, 3,80,000 - 13.5%
convertible debentures of Rs 180 each as rights to the equity
shareholders in the proportion of 5 debentures for every 24
equity shares or in multiples thereof held in the Company.
- Another 20,000-13.5% convertible debentures of Rs 180 each
offered to the employees (including Indian working
Directors)/workers of the Company.
- Rs 80 out of each debenture was converted into two equity
of Rs 10 each of the Company at a premium of Rs 30 per share
- The non-convertible portion of Rs 100 of each debenture would
redeemable by the Company at par in two equal annual
of Rs 50 each on the expiry of 7th and 8th years from the
1988 - Prosan Syrup, a soya-based protein food supplement was
during the year.
- In the domestic market `Mavrile' a brand spectrum insecticide
introduced after receiving the permanent registration.
1989 - `Visken' an anti-hypertensive drug was introduced in five
1990 - The Dyes & Textile Chemicals division concluded a technical
collaboration agreement with Sandoz Quinw Produckte GmbH,
for production of leather finishing chemicals.
- The Company issued 5,00,000-14% secured non-convertible
debentures of Rs 100 each on private placement with a bank,
meet the working capital requirement. These debentures are to
redeemed in full at the face value on 24.7.1988.
- 26,50,000 Bonus shares allotted in propn. 1:2 on 14.12.1990.
1991 - With a view to reducing the working capital, the Company
undertook to impose tighter credit policy and in addition
increased the proportion of sales of technical grade material
- The Company took up a seeds and plantlets project, for which
technical collaboration agreements were signed with Northrup
King Co., U.S.A. and Zaadunie B.V., Netherlands.
- The company undertook extensive trials of group speciality
to study their suitability under the Indian agro-climatic
1993 - The pharmaceutical division proposed to introduced
based Leucomax for supportive therapy in cancer treatment
and Sandoglobulin for treatment of immune deficiency states.
- Ekalux 20 AF a water based formulation with a reduced solvent
load was commercialised in Karnataka.
1994 - The Pharmaceutical division proposed to introduce the first
synthetic long acting somatostatin analog sandostatin for
aeromegaly and tumours of stomach, sirdalud for neurological
disorder and Luponex for schizophrenic patients.
- Ekalux 20 AF was introduced in a number of major agricultural
areas during the year.
- Several new products were added to the range of speciality
and Chemicals for the textile, leather and paper industries.
- During the year a virus resistant tomato variety was
and well received in the market. It is proposed to set up a
research station at Pune for evolving new hybrid varieties of
- The agro basic plant was successfully debottlenecked at
to enable peak production levels within shorter time span.
- A MOU was signed with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre for
technology on Reverse Osmosis/Nanofiltration membrance process
help improve productivity in the manufacture of Calcium
- During the year agrochemicals AF Project was commissioned at
1995 - Clariant Ltd., Muttenz Switzerland identified Kolshet as one
the manufacturing sites for dyestuff and regional
site for chemicals.
- The scheme of arrangement between the Company and Sandoz
(India) Pvt. Ltd., was sanctioned by High Court, Mumbai
from 1st April.
1996 - Liquid sulphor dyes under the brand name Diresuls were
introduced New products viz., Bactosol range of enzymes to
stone washed' appearance on jeans, ceraperm range of
agent and Elfugins range of products for fibre finishing and
Sandolube for sewability improvement were introduced.
- Complete package/process concepts like laundro kwik for
laundries/hotel industry and clarispin for processing of
polyester fibre were launched.
- Several new products viz. Relca Top & Relca Resin ranges of
finishing chemicals were introduced.
- The Spray drier capacity was increased resulting in reduction
cost of drying of dyestuffs.
1997 - New products introduced during the year actively contributed
achieving sales growth despite difficult market condition.
Company continued market leadership position in textile
chemicals and leather dyes.
- A paper application laboratory was set up to remedy
problem. The Company test marketed masterbatches for
- The company has introduced a range of new products for the
- The company has introduced series of high value speciality
finishing products for textiles.
1998 - The company has introduced its new products successfully in
Australia, Columbia and Thailand.
- The company proposes to introduce new product range of
and additives for the coating, automotive and polymer
- Clariant has entered into a memorandum of understanding with
Investor Support Services for administrating the scheme.
- A merger of Colour-Chem and Clariant India is `presently
out' and the two companies are jointly identifying areas of
synergies and opportunities to enhance shareholder value.
- Clariant India (CIL) was formed to take over the chemicals
business of the erstwhile Sandoz India in line with the
worldwide demerger of Sandoz's chemicals business to form
Clariant International, Switzerland (CIS, 51% equity stake in
- Clariant and Ciba Specialty Chemicals, the world's biggest
makers of specialty chemicals, agreed to unite in a share
worth at least 8.5 billion Swiss francs (.2 billion),
creating the dominant company in the global 0 billion
1999 - Clariant (India) has received the prestigious Excellence
for Innovative HR practices.
- The company has clearly focussed on new products and thrust
yield improvement and capital management as a growth strategy
despite a slowdown in the economy and sluggish market
- The company has introduced `Sandolube' and `Ceraperm' range
fibre lubricants and finishing agents and has also introduced
series of products for industrial textiles.
- The company had introduced masterbatches for polycarbonate
polymers for the first time in India for manufacturing of
coloured fashionable opticals.
- The company introduced the concept of a customer
file, which contains all relevant, up-to-date information
regarding the customers existing businesses as well as
2000 - Clariant (India) is setting up a new facility at Kolshet,
for manufacturing master batches.
-Clariant India Ltd has achieved a 35.8-per cent increase
in net profit for the six-month ended September 2001 at Rs
-Redesignates Mr B L Gaggar as the CFO and CS of the company.
-Chooses India for its Custom Synthesis Project.
-Change in the Registered Office:
Paville House, 3rd floor, Off. Veer Sarvarkar Marg, Prabhadevi,
Mumbai - 400-025. Tel No: 24323434 , Fax: 24229020.