1985 - The Company was incorporated on 18th October, at Gujarat, and
obtained the Certificate of Commencement of business on 8th
November. It was promoted by R.K. Jatia and R.G.N. Swamy, a
non-resident Indian. The main objective of the company is to
manufacture Ceramic glazed wall and floor tiles.
- The company undertook to set up a plant for the manufacture
20,000 tonnes per annum of ceramic floor and wall tiles. Main
plant and machinery were to be imported from Italy and the
Company was to use the double deck roller hearth kiln
which is well proven for single firing and fast firing
- An agreement for technological and technical collaboration
entered into between the Company and Societa Impianti
Termoelettrici Industriali SPA, Italy (SITI). Technical
technology relating to fast firing and single firing roller
hearth kilns with LPG and/or natural gas as fuel including
technical documentation thereof apart from provision of
training for company's personnel with SITI and deputing
technologists to the company.
- Another agreement was signed on 17th November, for technical
assistance in erection and commissioning of ceramic floor and
wall tiles project.
1988 - The company entered into an agreement with M/s. Bitossi
Dianella SPA of Italy for manufacture of frits, glazes and
procurement of allied technologies.
- 10,007 shares issued to promoters, etc. (including 5,200
to NRI R.G.N. Swamy). 53,99,993 shares then issued at par of
which the following shares were reserved and allotted on a
- (i) 19,10,000 shares to JBS Investments Pte. Ltd., Singapore
on repatriation basis;
- (ii) 2,44,800 shares to NRI R.G.N. Swamy on repatriation
- (iii) 5,95,193 shares to Indian promoters, directors etc.
- Another 2,71,000 shares reserved for preferential allotment
employees but only 1,400 shares taken up.
- The balance 23,79,000 shares, along with 2,69,600 shares not
taken up by employees, offered to the public in January (all
were taken up). Subsequently 32,600 shares forfeited.
1989 - The Company undertook a project to expand the installed
from 20,000 times per annum to 35,000 tonnes per annum.
- Another project was also taken up to establish a plant for the
manufacture of frits, glazes and stains in collaboration with
Bitossi Dianella S.P.A. of Italy.
- Forfeiture on 29,400 shares annuled.
1990 - The overall working improved due to concentration on value
and high quality products, constant endeavour in R & D
and wide range of varieties and designs the Company could
1991 - During November-December the company offered 13,52,500 No. of
equity shares of Rs. 10 each at a premium of Rs. 4 per share
Rights basis in the proportion 1:4.
- Simultaneously another 67,600 No. of equity shares of Rs. 10
at a premium of Rs. 4 per share was issued to employees under
Stock Option Scheme (only 3,200 shares taken up)
- The object of the issue was to raise funds to part finance
the expansion project.
1992 - It was proposed to expand the capacity further to 60,000 TPA.
1993 - During February-March the company offered 8,30,000-16%
partly convertible debenture of Rs. 60 each on rights basis
the proportion 1 debenture : 5 equity shares held (all were
- Another 2,00,000 debentures were reserved for preferential
allotment to Indian promoters of the company (all were taken
- 31,250 debentures were also issued to the employees on an
equitable basis (none were taken up and were allowed to
- 46,191 debentures were allotted to IDBI as per requirement
by the Company to IDBI. Rs. 30 of the face value of each
debenture was to be automatically and compuslorily converted
into 1 equity share of Rs. 10 each at a premium of Rs. 20 per
share on the date of allotment of debentures. Rs. 30 of the
value of each debenture was to be redeemed in two equal
instalments of Rs. 15 each on the expiry of 5th and 6th year
from the date of allotment of debentures.
- Simultaneous to the debenture issue the company also issued
7,03,825 No. of equity shares of Rs. 10 each for cash at a
premium of Rs. 20 per share of which 5,50,000 shares to NRI
shareholders on rights basis in proportion 1:5 (only 5,49,820
shares taken up).
- Another 1,53,825 shares to NRI promoters of the company to
them to maintain their percentage holding in the paid-up
capital of the company at 39.87%.
- Company has following subsidiaries M/s. Zirchem Industries
(Mumbai) Ltd., Bell Trachem Ceramics Ltd. & Bell
Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- 17,33,470 shares issued on conversion of debentures and right
issue of shares to NRIs.
1994 - The Company proposed to install a project to manufacture
glazed floor and wall tiles with the installed capacity of
TPA at Karnataka.
- It was also proposed to install facilities to manufacture
glazed wall tiles to the extent of 20,000 TPA and to upgrade
modernise the existing plant at Gujarat to convert it into a
tie plant in a phased manner.
1995 - 1,29,19,855 rights shares of Rs. 10 each (prem. of Rs. 12.50)
per share allotted on 30.11.1995 in the prop. 15 equity
for 10 existing equity shares held.
1996 - A Project to manufacture ceramic glazed floor tiles with
installed capacity of 55,000 MT was undertaken.
-The Company will expand its capacities at its two units, namely Dora
near Baroda and Hoskote near Bangalore.
-Bell Ceramics Ltd has appointed Shri Ramesh Jatia as Vice Chairman
of the Company.